Media scaring the public about the flu now

Over the weekend a young man( 16yrs old died) the media keeps reporting he died from the flu. He was a very healthy man and very active. On our local news stations website we are allowed to comment. I commented that their title is very misleading. That the young man did not die from the flu he died as a result of sepsis.I wrote I understand he had "flu like symptoms" but he wasn't the flu that killed him. I even put the definition of sepsis in my comment.
It was in their article that he had flu like symptoms that turned into a staph infection and became sepsis. Since the article has been published the website keeps removing all comments that point out it wasn't the flu and they have also removed the paragraph about it turning into sepsis. All the other news stations are reporting the same but this one.
I received an email saying I have been blocked from commenting again for abuse.

This got me wondering if anywhere else besides where I am if other local media places are doing the same.

Is your local media stations reporting flu killing people and not the actual reason why these people died? (like it turning into something else or them having a very weak immune system)

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Health

• I haven't really noticed. There are people who die from the flu, or complications of the flu, or flu like symptoms every year. They broadcast them every year.
    I really don't take any notice.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Send an email to a competing station, explaining everything the happened, your comment, that it was removed, and how you were blocked from commenting. The only thing the media loves more than sensationalism is a chance to skewer a competitor for sensationalizing something more than they did.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• This is not new for the media... they've been doing this for years... UGH!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Not yet, but I don't doubt it. They are always looking for the next "BIG" scare story.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I just listen to NPR and do not remember hearing any stories about death from the flu...yet
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• We have a similar local news paper that removes any disparaging comments. Or comments that "correct" the story, including spelling and the editor blocks anyone that doesn't agree with his views from commenting. I say boycott the station and when they start bitching about low sales tell them it's because the quality of their news has gone downhill.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• well if they dont make it sound like this big scary problem, how will they make money off of flu shots that most ppl dont really need? nothing's happening right now, so they have to use the flu.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Can you link to the story?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Do they have more flu shots to sell?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2013