Agree or disagree with this statement?

3libras

Asked by 3libras at 2:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Religious Debate

• It's something to think about - we do not teach children that presidents owned (or had children with slaves), that our country has never started a war without a clear financial interest at stake, or how Native Americans were treated until they are high school age or older. We do this, because we consider the information too complex and/or too traumatic for them to fully comprehend until they are more mature.

At the same time, people have no problem teaching their children that a vengeful deity killed EVERYONE on the planet except for one special family and 2 of each animal - even giving them toys and quilts and decorations commemorating the event. They have no problem teaching them that Jesus was beaten and tortured and hung out to die in the burning sun surrounded by carrion birds for days.

They'll be scarred by the knowledge that indigenous people were murdered by missionaries, but not by those things?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Kids need as much "instruction" in their lives to keep them on the straight!

note: the picture specifies RELIGIOUS instruction.

and yes i fervently agree.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Agree. and as for mad mueller's comment. Religion has nothing to do with proper instruction of children. It's all in the parenting. Somehow I don't think dragging your kids to church and telling them to behanve or they'll go to hell qualifies as "parenting".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Yep
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• "Kids need as much "instruction" in their lives to keep them on the straight!"

Religion has little to nothing to do with values, empathy and morals.

OP, I do agree. I've heard, however, that many counter this idea with the belief that the age of reason is when they are still quite young.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• YES!!!!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• NP- we taught our kids those things but don't teach God as a murderous psychopath.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I agree, but many people do convert to some crazy stuff when they become older. I think jamming anything down a kid's throat is bac, exposure is one thing.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I guess I do agree with it. Some things are a very hard sell to adults.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• AGREE!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2013