My daughter seems depressed and sad lately, and shes only almost 4?

My daughter for almost the past 2 weeks has been very sad and almost depressed it seems. At first, I thought she was getting over being sick, for about 4 days she was sick and had a high fever and threw up a couple times and I figured that she was getting over being sick and just needed some healing time.

It's been almost 2 weeks though and she is still like this.

My mom (her grandma) runs a daycare at our house so I go and see her every day on my lunch hour. When i get there, she has just been laying on the couch. My mom says she does that all day long and shell catch her just staring off into space. She is usually a very playful little girl and running around playing with the kids etc so this is not her at all.

She also has not had an appetite at all. She will ask for something to eat, or when lunch/dinner is served to her and shell pick up her food take maybe a bite or two and then say she doesnt want anymore. This is also not Brooke at all. She has a VERY large appetite and loves eating! This is to the point that i will make her eat SOME but she wont eat all of it, just because its like she loses her appetite suddenly. She looks like she lost weight also. I weighed her today and she is 37 lbs. (She'll be 4 on the 17th)S She normally has a very fast metabolism and poops RIGHT after she eats(2-4 times a day), well lately and i dont know if this is because she isnt eating or what, but she will go 3-4 days and not even poop.

She has been sleeping a lot more than usual lately.

Today, her grandma noticed her staring off into space she she asked her what is wrong and Brooke said, "I just am going to be 4 soon and I am going to be big like all of you guys..." (not quite sure what the root of that is)
She also has been saying that daycare is giving her a headache. (Don't know if it is GIVING her a headache or if she already has one and just isnt feeling weel and daycare or people and the noise is making it worse)

She hasnt seen anyone lately where i havent been there, nothing major has changed... I can't pin it.

Any advice on what you would do if it was your child would help.

Her dad and I are going to make an effort more than usual lately to do things with her, go out to dinner, go out to play, park, icecream... maybe she just is needing more attention from us lately? I'm not sure. we see her all the time and she spends a lot of time with us. (more so lately since she has been like this she wants us to hold her or cuddle her).

I dont know if this is something mental and she is just very emotional or if it is something physical. I ask her whats wrong and shell say, "I just dont feel good" but i also dont know if that is in her head since she has recently been sick.

Thanks everyone :)

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Holding in poop definitely can cause someone to feel sluggish. Have you tried giving your daughter a stool softener? It doesn't force her to go, like a laxative, it just makes elimination easier. I hope she feels better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2013