My daughter seems depressed and sad lately, and shes only almost 4?

My daughter for almost the past 2 weeks has been very sad and almost depressed it seems. At first, I thought she was getting over being sick, for about 4 days she was sick and had a high fever and threw up a couple times and I figured that she was getting over being sick and just needed some healing time.

It's been almost 2 weeks though and she is still like this.

My mom (her grandma) runs a daycare at our house so I go and see her every day on my lunch hour. When i get there, she has just been laying on the couch. My mom says she does that all day long and shell catch her just staring off into space. She is usually a very playful little girl and running around playing with the kids etc so this is not her at all.

She also has not had an appetite at all. She will ask for something to eat, or when lunch/dinner is served to her and shell pick up her food take maybe a bite or two and then say she doesnt want anymore. This is also not Brooke at all. She has a VERY large appetite and loves eating! This is to the point that i will make her eat SOME but she wont eat all of it, just because its like she loses her appetite suddenly. She looks like she lost weight also. I weighed her today and she is 37 lbs. (She'll be 4 on the 17th)S She normally has a very fast metabolism and poops RIGHT after she eats(2-4 times a day), well lately and i dont know if this is because she isnt eating or what, but she will go 3-4 days and not even poop.

She has been sleeping a lot more than usual lately.

Today, her grandma noticed her staring off into space she she asked her what is wrong and Brooke said, "I just am going to be 4 soon and I am going to be big like all of you guys..." (not quite sure what the root of that is)
She also has been saying that daycare is giving her a headache. (Don't know if it is GIVING her a headache or if she already has one and just isnt feeling weel and daycare or people and the noise is making it worse)

She hasnt seen anyone lately where i havent been there, nothing major has changed... I can't pin it.

Any advice on what you would do if it was your child would help.

Her dad and I are going to make an effort more than usual lately to do things with her, go out to dinner, go out to play, park, icecream... maybe she just is needing more attention from us lately? I'm not sure. we see her all the time and she spends a lot of time with us. (more so lately since she has been like this she wants us to hold her or cuddle her).

I dont know if this is something mental and she is just very emotional or if it is something physical. I ask her whats wrong and shell say, "I just dont feel good" but i also dont know if that is in her head since she has recently been sick.

Thanks everyone :)

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Holding in poop definitely can cause someone to feel sluggish. Have you tried giving your daughter a stool softener? It doesn't force her to go, like a laxative, it just makes elimination easier. I hope she feels better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I would be worry too and I will be taking her to the doctors as soon as you can. Call your old pediatritian and hopefully they will work with you on a payment plan. Hope your baby feels fine soon.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 12:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• She is still feeling weak from being sick. She needs time to recoup. Any Pediatrician will see her & every State has a well child program where you pay a fraction of what the Dr. charges if you have no Insurance. Just call the office & speak to someone in billing. The visit may cost you $40-$50 out of pocket. Is she taking vitamins? If not then start. She could also be coming down with something else. My Son is getting over walking pneumonia & we went in to the Pediatrician today & now ha has a double ear infection. He has been sick since Christmas eve. This is a bad year foe colds & viruses. Keep taking her temperature. If it goes up then she has a secondary infection & needs an antibiotic ASAP.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Do you think that her holding her poop in is possibly making her tired and less energized? All those toxins in her body ?

When she went poop while she was sick, it burned her butt (because she was sick) and she now tries and holds it in when she has to poop because she is scared it will burn again.

Sometimes she needs to poop but purposely won't go. I was thinking about getting her a chewable laxative or miralax to put in her juice or something....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I dont qualify for anything like that. Here in ARizona we have AHCCS (Arizona Cost Contamnate Services or something lol) Funny, I can get insurance through them but she cant.

And I cant qualify but i cant afford it either. such a pain in the butt!!!!!!!!!

Ill call and talk with her pediatrician i used to take her to and see if they can work with me on something. (also suck is that a lot go through carecredit which i also dont qualify for.. ARGH!!!)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• explain that to your doctor. Some have plans like if you pay $100 that will cover the entire visit and some make good payment plans with you. Have you looked into chip or medicade?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I'm definitely going to take her to the dr. Here is the thing and maybe you ladies can help me out and point me in the right direction.
    We do not have insurance.

So, I have no idea how it will work out monetary wise with taking her in or if they would even take her at a regular doctors office.

MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I think you are right to be concerned and I'd start with a dr.'s visit. I wonder if it's the lack of fresh air in the winter or something like that? or a lingering bug she's fighting off. If she's usually bubbly and now she's not for weeks it's high time to investigate.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• sounds like a trip to a doctor should be in order then. She may have something else.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• It's been about 2 weeks already since she was sick though. I thought that at first too but this seems to really be lasting long.

I have tried to ask her what is bothering her and she just says she doesnt feel good. Maybe ill ask her next time if her body doesnt feel good or if she is not feeling good because she is sad and see what she says.

I let he rknow if she is sad to tell me and we can talk or i can just cuddle her and hold her to make her feel good. I let her know she needs to play and be a kid and if there is something wrong its my job to worry about it not hers and me or her Dad will take care of it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2013