Do you think you are better mom or worse mom than your own mother? What about grandmother?

I am not as generous as my mother, she spends (and earns) a lot of money. I do feel I am much more loving than she is.
I will say that my grandma raised a ton of kids, and they all turned out amazing, she balanced being poor and knowing just "how" to do it!

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 4:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Relationships

• My mom is an excellent mother and I only hope I am as good a mother as she. I am a better mom than my paternal gmother, prob about the same as my maternal gmother.

Answer by missanc at 4:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I don't think I'm as good as my own mom in some ways, but I know I'm better in others. I think my mom is an amazing person and I try to parent like she did/does. My granny on the other hand wasn't so great. She was loving, generous, but way too much of a pushover. My dad's mother was a horrible person. Downright evil in many ways. I'm nothing at all like her.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I am less controlling than my mother's mother, but her heart was always in the right place, I think. I am much like my own mother, who I consider to be a wonderful mom. I guess I'm also wonderful, but no more so she is. :) I hope, if I am fortunate enough to be a grandma, I am as fun and giving as my grandma was to me and my mom is to my kids.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I do not think I could be as good of a Mother as my Mother and even I did not know my Grandmothers I could not outdo them either, so I will just do the best I can and hope many days of my life I can hear my son say I was the best Mother.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I can only be grateful to have such wonderful examples to live by! I believe I am living up to their standards, since they have both told me on many occasions, that I am a good mom. :)  I might not have the financial means to be as generous as my mom, nor did I inherit my Gma's cooking genes, but I have other good qualities that both shared. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I'm more approachable than my mom with things like sex, birth control, drinking, etc. My kids talk to me about that stuff, and we (my siblings and I) really didnt talk to my mom about it until we were adults. But my mom was probably a more consistent disciplinarian, and set boundaries better than I did. Looking back at my kids' lives that's something I would redo. My grandma?? No idea. My mom didnt like her at all, so I really don't know.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Better than both. My mother is very giving but she was not a good mother. My grandmother I really have nothing nice to say about her.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Better by far then my "mother". I would like to think I am the same as my grandmother (my mothers mom) she was a wonderful person
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I am by far a better Mother & Grandmother than my mom is. I have 2 adult kids & 5 grandkids & i do not show favortism to any one. I treat my kids & grandkids alike with the same amount of love & attention & gifts ect. I am more fun, outgoing, & more loving than my mom.
    However, my mom has 2 adult kids (me & my half-sister) plus 3 grandkids (my sister's child & my 2 children, plus 5 great-grandkids. My mom is unloving, stubborn in her ways, and she show extreme favortism to my half-sister & her child, so bad that she cut me & my family out of her life, but she been acting out so bad, she been trying to get rid of us for awhile.
    mamabear484

Answer by mamabear484 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• my mom was and is,a terrible mom
    My grandma stayed with a man who beat and raped her and got her pregnant with 11 kids. A man who refused to work,was an alcoholic,and was in and out of jail. All because she didn't believe in divorce. Yeah,times were different,but divorce holds less of a stigma to than being a woman who allows her husband to do all those things to her and her kids (he beat them too). By staying,she taught her daughters to allow men to abuse them,and taught her sons to do the same to their wives.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2013