Is Girl Scouts a good idea for my 5yr old??

My daughter will be turning 5 in a couple of weeks and I've been wondering if I should enroll her in the local Girl Scouts... I was also wondering if maybe I should become a troop leader... And how much troop leaders spend on average or if there's a special bank account for Girl Scouts really any info on the orginzation would be a big help =)

teen_mommy1133

Asked by teen_mommy1133 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is she in Kindergarten yet? My girls started in Kindergarten with Daisies and the GS council helped start a new troop at the school. I was a troop leader for 6 years. Each troop is responsible for their own account. Each new leader is responsible for starting that account. The banks where I lived had special accounts for scout troops.

The way it worked with my troops is that when the girls register they pay a fee that is sent to the GS Council. Then I would either have the parents pay a small fee at the beginning of the year to help cover snacks, crafts, etc. or I would have parents rotate bringing snack and provide craft materials.

Cookie sales as Brownies and Juniors are a great way to build up the troop fund for big outings or camping, etc. Being a leader does get a little hectic. But having an assistant leader and a cookie mom (to help at cookie time) helps to relieve some of the stress.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I think girls can learna lot from Scouts, and sometimes gain a set of skills that they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. Some moms are outdoorsy, some are artsy, some like to cook, etc, so the girls get a taste of many different things.

It's been a long time since I was involved with Girl Scouts, but at least back then, the girls paid a small fee for each meeting, and then the leaders used that money for supplies and such. Each girl would bring treats to the meetings once in a while, and bigger expenses like going on a camping trip would be financed either by individual parents or with a fundraiser.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• The best thing to do is inquire at your local Girl Scout Council office. If you decide to become a leader, there is plenty of free training provided by the GS Council so that you don't have to go into it feeling like you have no idea what's going on.

You can also try their website. http://www.girlscouts.org/for_adults/parenting/

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I think Girl Scouts would be a good idea and if you want to become a troop leader, go for it. Just realize that becoming a leader is a big commitment. There are weekly meetings and then things get real crazy around cookie selling time. I was in Girl Scouts when I was little and enjoyed the experience. My daughter was in it for awhile, but then we just couldn't fit it in our schedule.
    I don't know about becoming a leader, so here is a bump.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 5:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• This is my dau's 4th year of scouts. My dau said, "she can earn a bunch of badges, prizes (from selling cookies) & have a lot of fun" I wish I could find my old answer to a similar question, b/c I remember providing a link to an article in which it mentions how some now famous, or politically powerful women were once scouts. You should have her check it out & see if she likes it. Can't hurt right?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• I was in scouts for a year and hated it! I'm sure it will depend on your dd and the troop

Answer by missanc at 7:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• We want to join. We found a troop we like a lot, but the season is almost over (the end of May). We will look into it for next year. The one thing I was told by this troop leader is that she will not be teaching from the Journey's books b/c they are pushing the planned parenthood agenda. She and I are a lot alike and if she doesn't feel comfortable teaching that stuff to her own kids, I certainly wouldn't expect her to teach it to mine. Just something to keep in mind.
    Anonymous

• I was a girl scout and loved it. When we changed towns and my mother decided to become a troop leader ... well, that spoiled it for me. The other girls started treating me like a "teacher's pet" and leaving me out of things. When I got chosen to do special things (like carry the flag on armistice day) they said it was because of my mother (it wasn't, it was because I was the tallest ...). She expected me to be an example for the others behaviour-wise and I'd get small comments all week about it. I eventually dropped out because it was no fun any more.

I don't want to put you off, just give you my experience.

Good luck!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2013