How can I get my 5 year old daughter to stop wetting her pants in school and using the bathroom too frequently?

My daughter will be 6 in April. She started Kindergarten in the fall of 2012 and since then she has wet her pants in school multiple time. I have had numerous calls and notes from her teacher about her frequent bathroom use and pant wetting. She's been to the doctor and does not have any medical issues. I'm wondering if this is an anxiety issue or if she's getting bored. I'm so frustrated I could cry :( Today's call from the school nurse just made it so much worse. She doesn't do this at home it's only at school. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

**A little bit of extra history: Her father died when she was 2 going on 3 in front of her. To my knowledge she doesn't remember much of it. He had a massive heart attack while sitting on the sofa. She was also an only child up until July of 2011. She's an amazing big sister and I do my best to give both of my kids equal attention... but now that I think about it this may be an attention thing? I'm new to this whole thing and I'm not getting any help from her teacher. Her teacher nit picks everything she does. I'm beyond frustrated**

nevensonmn

Asked by nevensonmn at 6:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a child that had to be completely retrained. She came to us as never been potty trained at the age of 5 1/2, custody was returned to her mother for 4 mos and then back to us. When my parents had custody during Pre-K at 4 1/2 she wasn't trained then either. She would wet her pants at the minimum once a day. I took the time to retrain her. We have only had 2 accidents this month. If this is only a school issue then I would periodically pop into the school and witness what is taking place. If she is asking to get a drink and go to the bathroom that frequently she has figured out how to get out of class and away from her teacher. The issue itself is more than likely the teacher. You need to have this looked into. Good luck!!!
    Anonymous

• If you describe the teacher as nitpicking "everything she does," then it's likely that this perception you've picked up from the teacher's attitude & response is something that your daughter is experiencing daily. You may have a sad & stressed girl on your hands.
    It also sounds like this is an "issue" area for her, given her patterns of holding & wetting before school started. So there probably is some tension around it in general (making it the most likely form for her feelings of distress to take.)

Also, the loss you mention is a serious one. Whether or not she "remembers" much of it in a narrative, conscious sense, there is no way she "doesn't remember" the experience of fear, and the subsequent unavoidable loss. As well as any tension/fear/anxiety aroused in others (adults) around the issue as it concerns her. This is stuff she carries, & unresolved trauma is very vulnerable to later triggers that cause it to "balloon."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Check with her dr.
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 10:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2014