OK, heart patients and their support systems

So my dad had a similar incident and treatment but that was ten years ago.
They haven't talked to SO yet about lifestyle changes and diet.

They do want him to do cardiac therapy. Which is a "learn how to exercise class".
We are expecting him to be released tomorrow and hopefully I will get more info then.

What can I expect and what should I ask?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 9:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2013 in Health

• Ahh yes yes!! That explains the entire medical field lol. I'm so glad your honey is doing better & so glad you caught it!!! Muahz!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• When my ex had a heart attack and quintuple bypass the hospital offered a cooking class. Turns out I knew most of the stuff they taught, but I did get some new heart healthy recipes (and they told my ex it wasn't necessary for him to cut out ALL fat from his diet, which got him off my back about that)

Answer by missanc at 9:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• We never had the exercise thng with my mom and she's had two open heart surgeries.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Changes in diet and limitations since he has had the stent put in and for how long he should be limited. I believe DH was not to lift anything more than a gallon of milk (weight) for several months.
    Are there things that you should watch for, things that should cause you to know to go back to the ER.
    When should he see the cardio Dr. again. a touchy one for both of you is when will it be safe to have sex. and more touchy when will he be allowed to drive.
    Really though they will definitely go over all of this stuff.
    It seemed like my head was swimming and all I wanted was to go right home to bed. Do yourself a favor and get the meds first.
    Be prepared he is going to get irritable because his activities will be curtailed for a while.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• bump to come back and read respnses
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• they did make a low fat comment and he began to sweat bullets.
    i reminded him i used healthy fats (evoo) and he calmed down a bit

so we maybe ok if i can get him to more eat like me :)
    thanks
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• funlovinlady
    i think it may be a little bit of a money making scheme because in the brochure it admits medicaid only covers 80%
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• :)
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• Dard- with his head injury I dont know how much more we can limit his activities, lol
    Not able to lift anything for a month, oops
    He was lifting baby in front of the nurses and they didn't say anything. He's about 20 lbs...now I am nervous
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2013