Where are all the jobs??

So, I have been going to school for 5 years. They say that nursing is "recession proof" well, it isn't. All the major hospitals in my area are NOT HIRING this year.

I have a list a mile long of places that have told me no.

There are 7 nursing schools in columbus, Ohio that will have graduating classes this June.

I am sooo disappointed and scared. We are actually thinking about leaving the state, away from our family and friends.

WHERE ARE THE JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

JennRN09

Asked by JennRN09 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Our local hospital just laid off 50 LPN's!!! I was so incredibly scared! I am currently back in school for my RN, but still very worried about when I return to work. It seems like the agency's are always hiring, but really they cannot guarantee work. Oh, I am in New Jersey.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 11:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• They are out there. Wow. The hospitals in the St. Louis area are always hiring. If you can't get into a hosital, you still have home health care, physician offices, pharmaceutical reps, you can even do some consulting on line.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Not sure where you live but I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and I have been looking for a job for a month now because I was layed off in jan. Problem is all they have open around here are nursing and healthcare jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a ton in my area. Nurses are in high need around here!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 12:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• The problem is that there are no New Grad positions. Lots of RN jobs for the experienced. But for the new grad-no one wants to pay for orientation.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It depends on where you live and what jobs are there. It is very hard finding a job in some places. jobs are cutting back everywhere and Ohio in one hard place to get a job.
    Anonymous

• Atlanta is hiring
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Look on backpage.com,craigslist.com,or my website: www.bootyparlorparties.com/davialavae
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• look into traveling nurses!
    bdba673

Answer by bdba673 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• The thing is the jobs are out there, people just must be willing to relocate to work them.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 2:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• There are always nursing jobs in Alaska. Just not sure you would want to move that far.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2009