Can you recommend any books ...

An acquaintance of mine was crossing the street with her four-year-old son Friday when a teenage driver struck them both. They're okay--she shattered her kneecap, the kid got a few stitches and a concussion. He's been having nightmares, though, waking up screaming. She's got an appointment for him with a counselor later this week, but she asked me if knew of any books for children that might help them deal with a trauma like that. I didn't know of any, but I said I knew who I could ask.

Thanks, all.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• 2 good books are The Invisible String by Patrice Karst. A story of overcoming fear or loneliness and the other is called, A Terrible Thing Happened by Margaret Holmes.
    Both of these books can be found on Amazon as well as the bookstore.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• And the mom could look into something by Peter Levine who has written extensively on processing trauma, including acute trauma from a single overwhelming incident. He describes his own automobile accident experience (he was a pedestrian in a crosswalk who was struck) in one of his books; I think it is "Waking The Tiger" (I read that chapter online in either the Amazon preview option "look inside this book," or else on Google books.) He is a therapist who has identified the bodily process of "shaking off" overwhelming events when the human organism was physically or psychologically threatened & unable to defend itself. He describes a process of "activating" & releasing the energy mobilized by the fight/flight mechanism. In traumatic events, we go into "freeze" because we CAN'T fight or flee. With post-traumatic stress, adrenaline & the cortisol-stimulating hormone ACTH from the fight/flight response are repeatedly triggered.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Anyway, like I said this would be for the mom, which I know is not what you asked. Levine does have a couple of books on helping children process trauma, and he/his somatic experiencing organization has a website that I imagine would have articles and quite likely a list of resources (such as children's books) that might give her something to reference, as well as advice for how TO respond (and not to respond) to his distress in the moment, when he is waking.

One very good children's book I know that is written in a way that helps children "listen" inside themselves and get in touch with what is distressing them is the book about loss, "Sadie Listens." I am pretty sure that is the correct title; I don't know the author offhand.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• nightmares could also be a side effect of the concussion... she needs to speak to the neurologist about this!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• When you go into the book store explain your situation and tell them its for a child they will steer you in the right direction and have a plethara of options for you. Good luck and my prayers go out to your friend and her child.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2013