Screaming child =/ I NEED HELP!

To start sorry for the long post =/

So here it goes, my daughter who is 2 has a very high pitched voice. And when she screams for whatever reason I CRINGE!! Im talking about scary movie scream.

Have you seen Jurassic Park, when the little girl screams? yup that's how my daughter sounds, and it can get me very nervous! But long story short, I was baking today, and burned my cupcakes, and that's when it started, imagine this.......smoke everywhere, alarm going off, dogs barking, and child screaming BLOODY MURDER running through the house!....yup its was like a dam zoo in here!

My daughter came running to me and literally climbed up my leg. She does this all the time, if she knows she did something inappropriate she screams and runs to me. If she gets scared for whatever reason, same thing. If the water changes temperature while taking her a bath, or something falls in the bathtub like a toy or soap bar same thing. And I don't know how to control it, i understand she is scared, but why scream like that. I tell her no screaming, calm down, i even put my hand on her shoulder, but it doesn't help. When the alarm went off again this time I had the doors open to let out the smoke, and there goes Mia screaming, I had to close the doors cause I was scared of my neighbors hearing and thinking something else.

Although Im kinda joking, Im actually concerned. Can she have emotional issues? can it be something with her nerves? Should I tell her pediatrician? Or can it be just a stage, she been doing this since she was about 18 months? I feel like I have a stable home, we don't spank, and we don't scream at her, so idk. HELP.

ymilr0718

Asked by ymilr0718 at 2:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sure. Ask her ped.

Sounds like you just have a screamer. Try whispering when she does it. She has to hush to hear you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Do you react in any way at all? Like immediately turning to her and calming her down? Sure if she gets hurt or something ya, goes without saying, but like something falling in the bath such as a toy, and she screams what do you do? And with the alarms, sure that did scare her quite a bit. What did you do?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• just screaming like this- could be 100% normal
    and some kids have a more piercing pitch than others

if other odd things added to this- then possible issues
    does she have any other odd behaviors
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• My dd did that for a while. She still does occasionally but I taught her one day who has the more powerful lungs! lol. I just got to my breaking point and had a scream with her. I can't even remember what got her started, but I do remember that she had done it so much that I had finally had enough and decided that I would scream with her (a if you can't beat 'em, join 'em type thing). Got her attention real quick and she just sat there and looked at me for a few minutes. Stopped the screaming though. Now, she only does the real high pitched scream when she is playing with her brother and her starts tickling her.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• My two year old screams. He has since he was about 18 months old as well. He screams any time he gets upset enough to forget his words.

Does your two year old have many words? Has she dealt with speech delay at all? My son is a little bit speech delayed. I was told that it is extremely common in younger siblings. He is still catching up and needs to be reminded to use his words sometimes. Even without speech delay, speech development is in it's infancy at 2, sometimes kids don't have a way to communicate other than non-speech vocalizations. As your daughter gets older she will scream less and less. Encourage her to express herself verbally. "I don't think you need to scream about that. Tell me 'Pick me up, please'".

It has helped my son. When he gets the means to express himself verbally he doesn't feel the need to scream as much.
    AtiFreeFalls

Answer by AtiFreeFalls at 9:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2013