My PP sugar is 205, whether to take medicine to contol sugar or Food diet is enough?

I am 32 years old. My fasting sugar is 178 and PP sugar level is 205. Doctor adviced me to take low dose medicines. Pls let me know whether it can be controlled by Food Diet.

Gees81

Asked by Gees81 at 2:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Health

• Oh no honey...you need to be on diabetic meds. You are way past pre diabetes. With you sugar that high, (norm is 70-100 most times) you are are potentially setting yourself up up with a whole lot of problems. A diet with sugar that high will not work. But if you get on meds, diet and exercise, you feasibly could get off diabetic meds as long as you control your weight and exercise in a few years or so. Most doctors will start you on metformin. And give you a plan on exercise, and I would strongly suggest seeing a nutritionist that specializes in diabetes so you can learn on how to eat properly, and how much exercise you need.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Did you doctor give you a A1C blood test?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:22 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Please see an endocrinologist immediately. You need to learn how to manage your diabetes effectively.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Well you should be educating yourself on what a diabetic should and should not eat. Or cut back on. I cut out all sweets. I was a canyaholic when I fould out I was diabetic. And I love bread pasta and crackers. So I had it hard getting white wheat and candies. I still eat pastas. Just not every day. And only a little. I changed my bread to the best wheat bread I could find.
    Do your resurch . Go take your med.

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• With your fasting sugar being that high, simply changing your diet won't help. You need some kind of medication so you can at least get it back to "normal." Of course, with the meds, you will also need to watch your diet. Increase in exercise is also a good idea. One thing I have noticed that some diabetics forget is that starch can also affect your blood sugar. So, watch your breads, pasta's, candy and sweets (obviously), and potatoes. This last one is the one my mom has the hardest time with. She loves potatoes and can't seem to understand that those also affect her sugar.
    Good luck and if you do well, it is possible that you may be taken off the meds later. Pills you can sometimes be taken off of, shots never go away.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Yea I forgot to ad not just potatoes but rice. Starch turns to sugar too in your body.  Sugar, wheat product, potatoes and rice, you have to watch out for.   Meat, fruit, vegetable, you can eat all you want.

Answer by louise2 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• some very knowledgable replies here OP
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2013