LOVE AND HATE????

Ladies, can you LOVE and HATE, well maybe not hate,but not likes someone? At the same time?

I love my Dad, but really do not like him much. What do you think.

Asked by louise2 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I haven't spoken to my dad in 15 years. No matter what has happened between us, I do still love him. We just don't get along and our relationship is toxic to us and others around us. I have decided that keeping my distance is the best way to handle it for everyone. It's tough because I do love him, but it is what it is. So yes, you can love and hate someone at the same time (though hate is a very strong word).
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Honestly, I never really understood how you could love someone yet hate them at the same time. I think when you're in that situation you confuse love with feeling obligated to do so--like in a parental relationship...they brought you in to this world, so you HAVE to love them. The same goes for intimate relationships if you love your partner, but hate how he treats you or others, then you're not addressing the problem squarely.

I think ALL people should have to work CONTINUOUSLY to maintain loving and respectful relationships...it shouldn't be an "automatic" or given thing.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• sigh, anyway. Yes! I agree with you OP I feel the same exact way about my dad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I love my mother because she is my mother. but I don't like her. We butt heads on so many things.
    Anonymous

• Yes, definitely! I'm with Anonymous 12:11. It's my mom.
    TeeJai

Answer by TeeJai at 1:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I love my Mom, because I think I should, she is my Mom after all. But I don't like her. She is mean and negative and just really sucked as a Mom. Now that I'm older, she wants to be friends and I just can't do it. I can't hang out with her, go to lunch. Some wounds just never heal.
    Anonymous