I cut myself, why do you think people as in adults do it.

I hide them so people cant see them but my husband still finds them, why do you think others do it? I know why I do it.

Im-HiDdEn

Asked by Im-HiDdEn at 8:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Health

• When I did it (as a teen, haven't done it in years), I did it to try to get the pain I was feeling internally out. I was falling apart inside so I wanted to try to relieve some of that pain. I also did it as a form of punishment for things I thought I had done wrong (with hindsight and lots of reflection, I came to see that the "wrongs" I was accusing myself of weren't mine to be punished for). It seemed to work, temporarily at least. Eventually I realised that cutting was not a good way to get my feelings out and I needed to find another outlet (which I now have, btw). I still very rarely have the desire to cut (when I am extremely stressed or think I totally messed up my life), but I haven't acted on it in years and when I feel the urge to cut, I go to my outlet and loss myself in it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Your questions are very upsetting to me and clearly your showing signs of an unstable woman.

Continue these questions your asking and someones liable to report you to CSD. Out of concern for your baby.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Im-HiDdEn, all of the things you have posted would make any mother concerned for your son. None of the things you're saying sound like a healthy mother. Every one of the things that you have posted can have a very negative affect on your son.

You are under treatment, but maybe you need to find better or additional help. And, to some degree, you will have to make choices to be healthy. Look at that knife when you want to cut...and imagine that knife cutting your son, because if you are cutting yourself, you are scarring him. Look at the pills you are thinking of taking, and imagine you are drugging your son, because you are giving him a drugged up mom who is not totally present or healthy to take care of him. These are choices you have to make. Every action you take is a choice.

We are concerned for you and your son.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Get help from a psychiatrist ASAP

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I think you need to get off the computer and get some serious help. Stop screwing around and go see a doctor for the sake of your child.
    I think some do it to get attention and some do it because there is something seriously going wrong in their head.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I have a cousin who does this. She does a lot of dramatic things in an effort for attention Possibly she needs some attention, but not this kind.. So many family members have tried to help her, but she just continues to create more drama, and slowly over the years, people have gotten tired of it, and have told her to get professional help. She's ruined her life and her body because of whatever damage may have been done to her as a child.

I think Alisim is right. People do this to numb their internal pain with physical pain. It's a dangerous and I think immature way to handle problems.

You are an adult, who clearly has a very scarred history. You need to find a way to heal the internal wounds without creating new wounds internal or external. The things you are doing will cause damage to your children and even your relationship with your husband. Find healthy ways to deal with your past & your current life.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Why do I think people do it? Maybe to numb their internal pain with physical pain
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I did it because I never felt good enough- or felt I deserved punishment for things I did not do right in my mothers eyes mostly. I eventually stopped on my own

My daughter did it for different reasons, stress- depression...we got her into therapy and it's been awhile now since she has cut, but struggles with it still. It has taken a lot of time to get this far

If this post is for real, please keep seeing the doctor and learn better ways of coping. You are worth it.
    If you are just posting this for a reaction- I feel sorry for you and still think you could use counseling
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Attention seeking and some do it because they really have problems. Ie.. My friends daughter cuts and to make her feel better they blow an entire paycheck on her for a shopping spree to make her " feel better".
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Yes, we can talk. You can always PM me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2013