Public Service Announcement about a new TAX scam!

3 days ago, we got a letter from the IRS saying we owed taxes on a charged off debt. This was news to us, as we had never had such a thing. I tried to get a hold of the company that was reporting it, and went on the internet and found almost 100 postings about people who were going through the same thing.
I called my CPA and she said that I was about the 5th person who had called her, apparantly a company can get a hold of your SS # and claim they absolved a debt for you, and claim it as a loss to get money from the IRS, this has happened thousands of times, and they are usually fly by night collection companies.
I wanted to post this, because if it happens to you, the only way to absolve it is to take the proof of the scam to the IRS, we now must send a certified letter to the company, and if they don't respond with in 30 days, the IRS will absolve the debt. What a pain!

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 9:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Money & Work

• Thanks for posting this
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• thanks for the post... I will be on the lookout!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I guess this is the time of year they do it, because if you can't get it cleared up they will hold a portion of your return in order to pay for it, the amount is fairly small (less than 1,000) the IRS lady told me most people don't even bother to fight it, I was like WHAT? LOL
    jerseydiva

Comment by jerseydiva (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• good to know!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Wow, great to know. Thanks.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Good to know. Thank you.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Thankfully you inquired with a CPA so you could put your mind at rest.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2013