Would you have made him go?

This morning my six year old had a hard time waking up. Meaning that he woke up but was very crabby, crying, saying he wanted to stay home, refusing to get ready...just really having a hard time.

Would you have let him stay home?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 9:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would check to see if he wasn't feeling good or if something was wrong first. If not, yes I would have sent him.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• He would have went to school. Being crabby is not an excuse to stay home in my house. I tell the kids unless you've got fever don't even think about it.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 9:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Depends, has he been having issues? Was he up late?

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• If he was acting like that because he is not feeling well then yes I would let him stay home but if it was just him acting out then he will be going to school.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Unless he showed signs of being ill, he would've gone to school. My oldest had a day like this earlier in the year. She refused to get up, to get dressed, then insisted on wearing inappropriate clothes, so we argued about that. It was hell getting her ready that day. She arrived to school 50 min late but, she went. I refused to give in.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I would have taken his temp and if no fever, he would have gone to school!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• This child is not a complainer. He only really ever complains when he is over tired or sick. But I think he is having a hard time at school. Not with the school work, but with the long school day. And I have noticed he feels this way on Tuesday. This is the third time in the since Christmas break that he has acted this way and each time it was a Tuesday.

Now that I think about it, I am wondering if he just needs an earlier bedtime all week, not just on school night. Maybe his less sleep sleep on the weekends is catching up with him on Tuesday.

He went, but not willingly.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• crabby (not because of sick)
    goes to school 100%

i have little one in spectrum
    i have had to call school, alert her special ed teacher, to meet me at front office (in stead of lining my child up with others)
    i get her to school and special ed teacher takes it from there

IF i would have let her stay home, she will 100% remember that having a fit works, and she did not have to go to school- got her way

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• its worth changing his bedtime to see if it works. Good Luck! Is this his first time in full day school? Maybe he got use to sleeping during winter break.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• and when mine had major meltdowns
    she still went to school
    might be late, and always alerted sp ed teacher- so she could take my child directly, and she will bring her into the reg classroom when my child was able. that is why we have an IEP team

if child having huge issue, being 10-20-30 minutes late- who cares, have to at least have them to a level where they are not harming themselves- too hard to get them into a car seat when they are flailing
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2013