Would you have made him go?

This morning my six year old had a hard time waking up. Meaning that he woke up but was very crabby, crying, saying he wanted to stay home, refusing to get ready...just really having a hard time.

Would you have let him stay home?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 9:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• is there something on tuesdays that he does not like?

mine hated music class last year- if i mentioned she had music- she would freak out, so i did not mention it and let school know her issue, and let them deal

what is on tuesdays? does your child know days of week, and it is a tuesday- sounds like a tuesday pattern
    or
    is monday super over loaded, so super tired tuesday?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• There is nothing different at school on Tuesdays. I do think it is the staying up later on the weekends. I think he can get through Monday but when it comes to Tuesday, it is just too much. We will work on keeping a consistent bedtime all week and see if that helps.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Nope I take them to school anyways and just give the teachers a heads up that they are having a "difficult" morning or the all telling "they're having one of THOSE days" by the afternoon they're usually skipping and not having any issues.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• When my kids act like that, it's usually because they are coming down with something, so I would keep them home if they asked to stay home. If they're getting sick and I push them, they get worst. Once my oldest son was feeling a little off, and I took him to karate, and by that evening he was running a fever and throwing up. If they're starting to feel sick and I plant them on the couch, they're usually feeling fine in a day or so.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I probably would have kept him home. Everyone needs a break from routine sometimes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I allow one mental health day per year.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• yeah, my oldest has a hard time on Tuesdays also because every Monday they get out an hour earlier. So on Tuesdays, it's the first day of the week that she has to stay the extra hour. She gets sad more than crabby and repeatedly tells me that she'll miss me (but thankfully today they're having a 100th day of school party) but then Wed-Fri she's used to it.

as far as allowing her to stay home, only if she's sick. but as pandagwen stated, i do allow a mental health day but it has to be on a Friday when i know she won't have any homework that she'll miss.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I would have sent him. No fever, no diarrhea/vomiting, no reason to stay home. If it proves to actually be illness, the school nurse can call. With it looking like a Tuesday thing in the short time since Christmas break, I would say its lack of sleep over the weekend and not illness.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Sounds like you know your son & trust him not to be crabby "for no reason."

It is hard to answer your question accurately because while I'm pretty sure my kid would end up going to school, it doesn't equal "Yes, I would have 'made' him go." I think it's that I don't tend to focus on the outcome: whether or not I'd have "made him" go. I focus on individual responses to the present moment, so what I "would" do is more about how I would respond to the situation when presented with a child who woke up having a very hard time, not about deciding a predetermined outcome (such as, making my child go if he/she is not sick.)

I've had days when my daughter (also at age 6, as I remember, lol!) had a hard time in the morning. I focused on my response to her difficulty: how I heard her, how I responded. Looking back, she never has stayed home on one of those days, but it wasn't about "making" her go, it was about helping her process.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I tend to agree girlwithC. I ended up cuddling him on the kitchen floor. We talked about what he learned yesterday and how he would miss out learning something new today. He felt a bit better and off he went.

But as a mom I still felt pretty rotten making him go.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2013