What should I do for my SS BDay?

So even though his dad and I are divorced I still consider him a son and he still calls me mom (he's mom insisted on him calling me mom). He's Bday is Friday and his mom informed me they will not be doing anything till the end of the month for his bday and his dad also works late. This broke my heart, a kid needs to have something done for him on his Bday. I offered to take him. I am trying to figure out what to do for him. I am making him a cake and was planning on cooking his favorite meal. Should I also let him choose a movie to rent? Or go out and do something cheap? He will be turning 6.

Polka dot cake....doing this!

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Honestly, I think that whatever you do with him will make him happy! I'd think he'd be thrilled to choose a movie!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Take them bowling or to one of those jumpy house places, something everyone could do, and how sweet of you to do this for him!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Take him bowling. Every kid loves that. Or just to McDonald's with a play place. That cake is great.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I think anything will be great. I would do the cake, do the movie at home with lots of popcorn, his favortie food, and if you can afford going to a bowling place like some mention here that will be great too. Hope you all have fun.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Yummy! Why don't you do something special with him? What is his favorite thing to do? You could make it a you and him day as a special treat.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• That cake loks AWESOME!!!! And, since he is going to have a party, just not on the day of his birthday, I would go with the cake and let him pick out a movie. It can be just a you and him night which I am sure he will love. If you really wanted to do something special, you could maybe find some kind of craft to do with him at home, like make some homemade ice cream to go with the cake.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I haven't spent much time with him since his dad and separated so I have no idea. I know he loves video games but I dot have those. I have my other two kids and no one to watch them so they need to be included.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2013