What would YOU do if your child was being bullied and the school wasn't doing anything?

Reading the news and a THIRD kid has killed himself in the last 6 months due to being bullied. The latest one was the mother transferred him to another school after the first one wouldn't do anything but the kid got harassed there as well. (He was a heavy set kid)
The school just said school year is almost over and the bullies will not be attending next year. But they did and they went after the poor kid again. She finally pulled him out and home schooled him but shortly after committed suicide.

Do schools not care about our children anymore? I understand kids need to defend themselves and I will teach my kids to do so. But I remember when i was in grade school I had a speech problem and was made fun of by all teachers and students. One time I finally knocked a girl out but I was the only one in trouble. I got suspended for a week and detention the rest of the school year.

What would your solution be?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• i don't know, other than changing schools, I guess I would do my best to help my child become more assertive. It makes me so sad that kids don't understand it won't be like that forever.
    I will tell you one thing, if I ever catch my kids picking on someone or going along with it, they will be very sorry they did. Parents need to take more responsibilty for kids who bully!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• If the school won't do anything then I'd go over their heads to the school board. If they won't then over their heads, etc until I get the help I need for my child. I'm willing to work with anyone but you will NOT hurt my children.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• It's a tough issue. I was bullied in grade school, but I was also taught how to deal with the situation. There are going to be so many times in life when you are bullied. Kids aren't being taught how to be tough these days, it seems they are babied too much.

If that were my son, I would have gone to the school myself and checked it out for myself. If I found out it was indeed a bad situation, I would have taken my son out of the school.

Again, that being said, the parents really have to be on top of their children and the happenings around them. They have to raise the child to understand that there will be tough issues in life to deal with. Life is not easy. Why sugar coat it? Starts when they are young and want everything they see.....

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• i would make the school want to solve it just to shut me the hell up, because there's no way i'd drop it or let it go. i'd be on their asses like white on rice.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Heads would roll (school, the bully, parents of the bully). I won't tolerate that bullshit. It seems that many schools could care less about bullying and only pay lip service with their zero policy bullshit.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I would be at the school all day everyday until there was a conference with the brat and the brats parents. I would not let up until something was done about the situation
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 12:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Bullies chased me off the playground when I was in 5th grade. I remember one day, we had a school talent show. Some friends and I had practiced a double dutch routine. At recess before the show an older kid nailed me in the face as hard as he could with a rubber ball, after cornering me. I got a bloody nose. He did it right in front of a recess monitor too. SHE says she saw nothing, and he told her I hit myself in the face.

No one wants to get involved. They all say, "It's not MY problem". Few take responsibility for their actions anymore.

And, to answer your question: If my child was being bullied, and the school was doing nothing about it, I'd start raising all kinds of Holy Hell with anyone and everyone who would listen until something was done.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• you keep bugging them, then you go to the school board, then you go to the local news. and then you look at your parenting style, your environment, and your kid and figure out what YOU can do to change things. what made this kid think that suicide was the answer? why was his self-esteem so low that getting out of the schools didnt help? why arent these kids getting therapy to help them with their issues (the bully and the victim)? but no, we just look at the school and blame them that a kid is dead.

bullying is bad and we have to make sure our kids are safe. but we should also make sure our kids are mentally & emotional strong enough to handle the fact that there are mean ppl in the world and that suicide is not the answer to their problems.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I have changed schools
    Contacted superintendents and the police with a threat of a lawsuit

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I would contact the other parents, be at the school everyday and if it got worse, try to bring the police into it.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2013