Breastfeeding

My 6 month old son is breastfeed and has always been breastfeed. I have always fed on demand so whenever he wanted boob HE GOT IT! Now Im not sure if hes hungry or if hes doing it out of habbit. He goes to bed at 830/9PM and I get up at 12, 3, 430, 6 and 7 and all he wants is the boob. His doc suggested giving him the binkie when he cries to see if that works and it does for a moment or two...then hes crying again. I was told I shouldnt pick him up because he has a tendancy to WAKE up and think its play time....and that I should hold his hand rub him and sing or tell a story....but let me tell you.....that just makes him cry even more!! I dont know what to do. Any advice or help you all can give will be greatly appreciated!!!

MissMamaAshley

Asked by MissMamaAshley at 12:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried giving him cereal before bed to fill his little belly up so he is not hungry in the middle of the night. my dd used to do that (wake for food all the time) and since i started some cereal before bed she is sleeping much more
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 12:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Is he falling asleep on the boob? If so, he has come to rely on you to put him to sleep and he is going to have to learn to fall asleep on his own. Once he does that, his night wakings should become less and less. First, make sure he is full before bed and get into a solid bedtime routine (it makes them feel safe). If you haven't started solids yet, then start them now. He needs a full belly before bed. Then, if he falls asleep on the boob, WAKE HIM UP. I know it sounds counter productive, but you should put him to bed awake but sleepy. He should watch you walk away. It might be rough for a few nights but babies learn really fast as long as you're consistent! Let him cry for a few minutes, then go in and pat him, sing or whatever to calm him down (if it works for you...every time I went in it just upset my daughter more and once I actually let her cry it out, she was fine after that).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Sorry - it cut me off. Eventually he'll learn to fall asleep on his own. Once he does it at bedtime, you'll find that his night wakings become less and less. (You should also be giving him a few minutes when he wakes up at night to see if he goes back to sleep on his own...sometimes we rush in too quickly and actually interfere with their natural sleeping pattern). Good Luck - I know it is hard!!!!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i know this is mean, but let him cry it out. he is old enough now, 6 months, he is relying on your boob for comfort. he is NOT hungr, there is now way. he should be able to go 4 hrs now... give him some cereal, he is ready for food now. but you have to let him cry it out, he is using the boob for comfort and you're not getting enough sleep
    Anonymous

• Just keep doing what you are doing. He will grow out of it and yes, he is likely still hungry. Once he's 12 months if it's really botheirng you, you could night wean him. I woudln't do it before though. If you were to co-sleep he probably wouldn't wake up wanting to play, he's probably latch on and keep sleeping.

Good luck and congrats on your breastfeeding success!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• but you have to let him cry it out, he is using the boob for comfort and you're not getting enough sleep

No you don't. Try the No Cry Sleep Solution by ELizebeth Pantley when you do decide to teach him to sleep through. It's not cruel like CIO and you will both be happy. I have 5 great sleepers, 4 of whom slept through by 3 months and one we had to teach at 21 months. Not one has ever CIO.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• awww, my baby did that forever. :) Just go with it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's totally normal and okay. My nine month old still nurses 1-5 times a night.. it's always different with her. We co-sleep and I swear it's the only way we both get good sleep. You should look into it :)

Some breastfed babies NEED those nighttime feedings for as long as nine months. You DONT have to let your baby cry it out, and I personally dont reccommend it.. at all! If you'd like to cut out the nighttime feedings and get him to sleep better at night, I second The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 4:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2009