How do you tell your mother that you think she has a chemical imbalance? adult content

Okay, maybe not those words specifically, but something along those lines.

For about 3 years, she has been hot and cold and random times. She will suddenly flip her lid and start screaming and yelling. I think she is in pre-menopause. She will be 53 this year.

It's really bad though. Yesterday we were fine and she came home and started screaming at me about what, i dont know. She wouldnt let me get a word in...

My sister bought her pre-menopause pills and gave them to her very nicely and my mom wouldnt take them.

It's bad though. anything triggers it and she takes it out on anyone.

I dont know what to do, but I cant handle this. ((She lives with us too so were the ones closest to her physically so we are usually the target))

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Relationships

• Maybe she just needs a vacation away from everyone. Maybe she is just frazzled & at wits end. Everyone needs a break sometime. What else is going on in her life that may be unnerving her? That is the real question.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I speak my mind and I would tell her she needs serious help
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• its been 3 years and she has had vacations and get aways.

she flips out suddenly and doesn't even really have reasoning behind it.

all of us cannot handle. its very hard.

she agrees that she is in pre menopause but won't do anything she even admitted one day that she has suddenly become tempermental
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• oh lostsoul how i wish i could do that!!! lol

she would end up probably killing me though. not really but u can't tell her straight up that there is something bothering you and she is the root of it. all hello will break loose.

i really need help with this. its ruining my emotions and our relationship
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• It sounds like menopause, not a chemical imbalance. It affects some worse than others.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Maybe tell her there is something wrong and if she doesn't figure out and treat the issue her relationship with the kid (s) will be seriously limited.

kids dont need that kind of stress, not knowing what is going to set g-ma off
    kwim?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• i know it isnt a chemical imbalance that was more of me dramatizing it to show how stressful the situation is lol.

I've learned to apologize so the issue goes away but i need to stand up for myself.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Menopause is a difficult time of life--no question about it. However, one does not have to give in to the urge to yell and scream or to throw things. If she is living in your home, you have every right to establish some boundaries as to what you will and will not accept. If you need help doing that, please buy yourself a copy of BOUNDARIES by Drs. Henry Cloud and John Townsend. It's a wonderful book, full of helpful suggestions for setting and enforcing boundaries with difficult people. To allow her to get away with these destructive behaviors is to do her and the rest of your family a great disservice.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Why hasn't she seen a doctor????
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 6:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Sounds like menopause. Ut I am not a dr. Suggest she see her doctor.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2013