Racist Latinos adult content

I want to bring up a topic that I feel isn't spoken about to often publicly.

How do YOU feel about MIXED Hispanics/Latinos?

I'm Puerto Rican, Dominican, Irish and Scottish. MY DH is Cuban.

It seems like being mixed, I'm not welcomed into either community. My Hispanic friends and even family members consider me white and refer to me as "Gringa" or "blancita." My white family barely speaks to me "the puerto rican one..."

When my MIL met me..She freaked that 1st of I was NOT cuban and the fact I had dominican blood enraged her. Then when she heard I had white too, forget it.

I noticed this with ALOT if not MOST older generation [born 1960 and back.] hispanic women mainly. So judgemental that a Hispanic "had children with a gringa?!"

Why is there so much tension in the Hispanic community. Puerto ricans shit on me for being Dominican, Dominicans shit on me for being Bori, then they both crack that I'm irish and Scottish?

Then my kids get disrespected because they're my mixed PLUS CUBAN, what is the big deal can someone enlighten me on this "taboo" topic because quite frankly, IT HURTS and I grew up with identity issues due to narrow minded people, and still have identity issues, it's not right.

I live in the USA, the meltingpot...so why should mixed latino/a's be shunned for being blended

MamaFrankie

Asked by MamaFrankie at 12:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm raising my grand daughter who is bi racial. Often times we'll get people who make rude comments and how she's black in a white family. I turn it back and say she's American and we're all the same under the skin.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I don't know. I am Mexican and we constantly given lecture on appropriate relationships and the preservation of our Heritage.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• People are entirely to hung up about what race everyone is. Who gives a shit? But nobody will give an an inch. Whats the difference between Irish and Scottish? Nothing. Well one like to drink more then the other. Accents are different. But both races are light skinned. Latino, Hispanic, Spanish, Native American, African American, you know what all these races have in common? Their blood is as red as every one else's. Next time someone asks you OP what 'race' you are, you should turn the tables on them and ask them what does it matter? Your blood is as red as theirs, and you love their son as much as they do.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I love mixed kids just as much as I love non-mixed kids! Well, I should - I'm Indian and DH is Caucasian, and both of our brothers are married to different colored women and they have such beautiful children (my nieces and nephew). We don't deal with any prejudice by simply cutting out anyone who is bad for us (and this includes some family). I've noticed it more with the older generations too, but some in my generation. And it's not just in the Latino culture - stupidity exists all over the world. Why would I want hateful ignorant people in my life? And why would I let my child to think that "friends and family" should be allowed to be so hurtful? They are NOT our friends or family. Now, we sometimes joke about racial things, but we have our own lines for what's fair game and what's just unacceptable.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• ==Depends on the people you are with in any group. Some of that Large group will be prejudice against XYZ and others won't.
    You are evidently hanging with prejudice people. sory.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• My parents are an interracial couple and I am a quarter black and white and something else. More black women used to be mean to me when they realized I was not the nanny but my sons mother. Now it happens even less. But I do know how you feel.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• But obviously not ALL puerto ricans and dominicans feel that way....seeing as how you were born!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I've never heard of or dealt with anything like that. At least not with the Latino cultures.
    maecntpntz219

• Honestly my great grandfather didn't want my grandpa to marry my grandma, he didn't like her and didn't hide it. But he treated his grand and great grand kids like gold. My dh is puerto rican and his mom didn't care he was with me. They are from puerto rico. I'm Mexican finish and German. I can say I do feel bad because my dh doesn't teach them Spanish and that is one thing I got made fun of when I was in school ( not knowing Spanish) I think may e it's more so the preserving of their culture they are worried about of course there are those who are racist.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Ginger0104 i live in New jersey! DH and his parents fled castro, our children are their 1st generation american
    MamaFrankie

Comment by MamaFrankie (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2013