Racist Latinos adult content

I want to bring up a topic that I feel isn't spoken about to often publicly.

How do YOU feel about MIXED Hispanics/Latinos?

I'm Puerto Rican, Dominican, Irish and Scottish. MY DH is Cuban.

It seems like being mixed, I'm not welcomed into either community. My Hispanic friends and even family members consider me white and refer to me as "Gringa" or "blancita." My white family barely speaks to me "the puerto rican one..."

When my MIL met me..She freaked that 1st of I was NOT cuban and the fact I had dominican blood enraged her. Then when she heard I had white too, forget it.

I noticed this with ALOT if not MOST older generation [born 1960 and back.] hispanic women mainly. So judgemental that a Hispanic "had children with a gringa?!"

Why is there so much tension in the Hispanic community. Puerto ricans shit on me for being Dominican, Dominicans shit on me for being Bori, then they both crack that I'm irish and Scottish?

Then my kids get disrespected because they're my mixed PLUS CUBAN, what is the big deal can someone enlighten me on this "taboo" topic because quite frankly, IT HURTS and I grew up with identity issues due to narrow minded people, and still have identity issues, it's not right.

I live in the USA, the meltingpot...so why should mixed latino/a's be shunned for being blended

MamaFrankie

Asked by MamaFrankie at 12:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm raising my grand daughter who is bi racial. Often times we'll get people who make rude comments and how she's black in a white family. I turn it back and say she's American and we're all the same under the skin.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• My ex husbands family is Cuban. They never once made me feel inferior for being white.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I dont know why the hispanic community is so tough on one another. I'm totally white, but my step dad is 100% puerto rican and hated mexicans and other hispanic decents and my fiance now is mexican and they cant stand puerto ricans or other decents. i just dont get it.

one time i tried asking my fiance why and he said mexican feels that puerto ricans hold their head high and act like mexicans are nothing. idk..
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I love mixed races, seeing as how my kids are half mexican.

Being white I do get teased within DH's family, but its never mean spirited and I give it back as good as I get. It's all a joke. To an outsider listening to us it would probably sound terribly racist on both sides, but its really not meant in a mean way.

Where in the US do you live? I think in some ways that might have something to do with it. I have known so many white/mexican people in my life here that its not seen as an uncommon thing at all.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I feel anything about them because I dont care if you're full blooded or mixed.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Ginger0104 i live in New jersey! DH and his parents fled castro, our children are their 1st generation american
    MamaFrankie

Comment by MamaFrankie (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Honestly my great grandfather didn't want my grandpa to marry my grandma, he didn't like her and didn't hide it. But he treated his grand and great grand kids like gold. My dh is puerto rican and his mom didn't care he was with me. They are from puerto rico. I'm Mexican finish and German. I can say I do feel bad because my dh doesn't teach them Spanish and that is one thing I got made fun of when I was in school ( not knowing Spanish) I think may e it's more so the preserving of their culture they are worried about of course there are those who are racist.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I've never heard of or dealt with anything like that. At least not with the Latino cultures.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• But obviously not ALL puerto ricans and dominicans feel that way....seeing as how you were born!
    maecntpntz219

• My parents are an interracial couple and I am a quarter black and white and something else. More black women used to be mean to me when they realized I was not the nanny but my sons mother. Now it happens even less. But I do know how you feel.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2013