Do you think McCain's joke was racist?

“So Ahmadinejad wants to be first Iranian in space - wasn't he just there last week?” McCain said in a tweet that also linked to a story about Iran launching a monkey into space.

i'm not a McCain fan, but i think its a good zinger. what i dont get is that, technically, Ahmadinejad is Caucasian and so is McCain...is it racist b/c McCain compared someone with darker skin than his own, to a monkey?

Ahmadinejad is a holocaust denier...so i really dont see why anyone would defend him.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 12:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• see i get that it wasnt appropriate for a politician, but honestly, as far as political jokes goes this is pretty tame. its like something you'd hear Jay Leno say on his show...

i cant help but think he's getting backlash b/c he's McCain and the face of what many hate about the GOP. basically, "hes an old white male Republican, he was obviously making a racist comment."
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• No I do not think he was being racist, isulting the man as being less on the evolutionary scale perhaps. Funny well I suppose someone might think so but To me just a quip and nothing else
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• People need to get over being overly sensitive to crap.
    Anonymous

• No, not racist. Probably not something he should have said in public. Tweets are public. I don't think this is racist because the Iranian president has denied the Holocaust and compared Jews and Christians to apes and pigs. McCain's cheap comment was probably a joking reference to extremist belief, shared by Egyptian president Morsi. Again, McCain probably shouldn't have tweeted that.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Not funny, not in good taste and maybe racist depending on full context.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I don't think it is racist, I do think it is crass. I think our politicians should be above comments like that.
    OenophiliaMama

Answer by OenophiliaMama at 11:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I found it humorous. I can't imagine why anyone would think it is racist. The animal could have just as easily been a rat.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• not racist just silly
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2013