What is the answer to bullying?

a.)teach the child to accept that they will be made fun of
b.)teach them to fight back
c.) teach them to tell an adult
d.) walk away
e.)all of the above?

i am curious about your thoughts on this issue.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Thanks. The other children watch out for my Son now. If that child approaches my Son the other boys tell him to go away & tell my Son "Don't talk to him Paulie". I believe it stems from the boys home environment. He has also taken pictures of my Son with his Nintendo DS. How weird is that? That was in the beginning of the year too. His first real school experience. He's a trooper though. It will not happen again. Everyone knows the consequences & the Parents better hope it doesn't either. The School took immediate action & handled it very well. I was in a state of shock. My Son still holds his head up high & has a lot more friends now because of it too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• i would say teach them not to do it period should be first and foremost. Sad thing is most kids who do it learned it from home.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I agree with jerseydiva, it's a learned behavior... I'm afraid if I met the brats parents, I'd knock them out for raising the child that way... It's sad.
    Our 16 yr old son is going through a little of it right now, and it breaks my heart because there's nothing I can do for him. It's nothing severe, and he knows to come to us if it gets worse. Where do you draw the line? Just because the kid is making fun of him, do I go to the principal, or let it go? I don't want to embarrass our son, he say's not to do anything, he can handle it, but it breaks my heart.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• The answer is to make the Parents financially responsible for their children's actions. If it costs the Parents money every time their bully child hurts another kid then rest assured it would stop immediately. My Son started Kindergarten this fall. He rides the bus. He was bullied repeatedly by a 5th grade boy who is such a problem that he has to sit up front opposite the kindergartners. He verbally abused my Son repeatedly. Then it finally escalated to physical. My Son is a tiny little guy & only weighs 40 lbs. This boy unbelted my Son's seat belt, pulled him into his seat & repeatedly banged his head against the bus window. My Son was so scared that he just sat there & the boy told him "this is what friends do to each other"! Well thank God my Son went & told his Teacher right away. t was handled & is over. Cont:

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Cont: So He has been taught to tell a Teacher immediately & walk away. Not to fight back because if he had he would have been severely hurt by a 5th grader. I also think to teach the child to accept that they will be made fun of & accept it if is very hurtful & repeated is wrong too. It has to stop altogether & the Parents are responsible. If the child cannot be controlled then he needs to stay home & be Home Schooled. How fast would that make Parents take responsibility as well?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• E
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Yeah, I go with E. You have to have a mix, otherwise, it's a no win situation.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• E

(((hugs))) Ilovemypaulie
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Not really "accept" being picked on but, instead learn how to correctly handle conflict. And, of course, to get an adult.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Live and let live should be taught early on, confidence should come from within not from putting others down. Bullies are really insecure.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2013