Ideas to help my child learn blending

I just returned from a teacher conference. My child is behind in blending and needs tutoring. She wants me to do more work at home too.

Any suggestions on games for the computer, iPad, phone,etc that can help us? I have no idea how to teach this.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 1:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Flash cards.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• maybe I am dumb, but what is blending? Do you mean words that go together?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Lmbo! I said the same thing to the teacher! It's how they teach them to read. For instance /H/ /ome/ sounded out is home.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• My best advice is to read to her with the book open, as partygal said flash cards would be helpful as well, go out and buy Charlotte's web tonight, and start reading to her with the book open, say Oh gosh, I don't know that word, it starts with the letter P, can you help me? I think that for this real reading is what would help the most!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Check out the show Between the Lions.

They do lots of segments with blending sounds. Also read, read, read. SHow her the words and help her see the blends.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I read every night her AR book and we do letter flash cards too. She knows all the letters and sounds, but I didn't realize they were blending already. I kinda feel like this is my fault because I haven't tried to get her to put the sounds together to form words. I've only concentrated on the sounds of individual letters.

I like your ideas. I'll start putting the letter flash cards together to form simple words. Her teacher is going to start after school tutoring her twice a week too.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Oooh, good they have that show on YouTube. Thanks!
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2013