Giving birth.

Does delivering a child without the use of pain medication make someone more of a woman? Obviously I don't feel this is true. But I have a few friends and a sil who seem to think this is true. While in labor with my first dd I got an epidural, before I knew I would have a c section, and my sil told me... You can do it without meds I did be strong, women didn't have medication in the past and did fine without it. Now my friend who just had her daughter who let everyone know that she would never use pain medication is glorifying how she didn't use it and how she doesn't understand why any woman would want to take away from the experience of delivery. What are your thoughts?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 3:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• As long as the baby is born happy and healthy, and mom is healthy at the end, I couldn't care less. I had one with pain meds, one without. The end result was the same. I had a baby. I don't like the mommy wars from either side of the argument. To some people, you're either trying to get a gold star and be seen as a matyr, or you're a wuss who can't do what women are made to do. Best just to ignore the negativity no matter what side of the fence you're on.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• No it doesn't. I went natural with both of mine. Every birth is different for every woman. Some are more painful then others and sometimes another woman man not be able to handle much pain. It doesn't make them weak what so ever.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• no....i had an epi with my dd and it didn't work so i had her with no pain meds...had my son and couldn't feel a thing. idc what anyone thinks, i'll take a pain free birth over a "natural" one any day
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I feel that every woman should thoroughly research the options before going into labor. And then do what they feel is best.

I have no problem with women getting an epidural, but do think it is irresponsible to do so without knowing the risks.
    Anonymous

• Ugh, don't talk to people about their birthing experiences. Everyone is different. No one can possibly know what to expect nor anything about what you feel.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I needed an epi so I could rest before it was time to push. i was worn out.
    I think it's more important that the mom have the energy to push than to be a martyr

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I knew I wanted an epidural with my oldest DD. I got one but, ended up having an emergency C-section.
    My youngest was supposed to be a planned C-section but, she decided to show up early & very, very quickly. By the time I arrived at the hospital, I was "crowning". So, no C-section, no drugs, no IV: NOTHING. She was born via a 100% all natural VBAC. I don't think it makes me "more of a woman", I simply did what I had to do but, I am somewhat amazed at myself for doing it. I was a total wimp before, now I feel tougher. I got a tattoo, something I was afraid of doing in the past, because I knew I could handle the pain. And, yes, it was A LOT less painful than giving birth. I will never forget that feeling: it literally felt like someone lit my vagina on fire.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• some women need to say crap like that b/c they dont feel special enough...they need to look down on others in order to feel like they've accomplished something. most women can give birth, so its only special if you do it without meds...blah!

epi's were invented to make childbirth not hurt. would we say someone who didnt use pain killers after surgery to be more "human" than those who do? someone who chooses to go natural only so they can brag about it later is stupid.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• women also used to die from child birth and infections

modern medicine is cool. I use it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• just wanted to clarify that i dont think going natural is stupid at all...only that doing so only to brag is stupid.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2013