Giving birth.

Does delivering a child without the use of pain medication make someone more of a woman? Obviously I don't feel this is true. But I have a few friends and a sil who seem to think this is true. While in labor with my first dd I got an epidural, before I knew I would have a c section, and my sil told me... You can do it without meds I did be strong, women didn't have medication in the past and did fine without it. Now my friend who just had her daughter who let everyone know that she would never use pain medication is glorifying how she didn't use it and how she doesn't understand why any woman would want to take away from the experience of delivery. What are your thoughts?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 3:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I think people should mind their own business. Unless my child is coming out your vagina, why do you care how I choose to do it? Some of the pissing contests women create are really just plain stupid.

*I'm not speaking to you personally, OP. It's more of a collective "you".
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Thanks hootie!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:43 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I agree I don't care how you deliver a baby but I don't like being looked down on because I didn't go natural... Even if I wanted to I wouldn't have been able to. It's like the breast feeding crap who cares mind your own business lol
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Tried it both ways, got the same prize in the end. :p Why suffer? Tell those busy-bodies to STHU & if they doubt your womanhood, you'd be glad to remind them what a woman you are when that time of the month rolls around again! lol :p (Sorry- feeling a bit ornery today)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Yeah I can't stand those women who do it naturally for bragging rights.. Or push their views onto everyone else.. I tried havi g epiderals with my births but they didn't work.. Doing it naturally sucked big time. I think it'd be nice to be able to relax and enjoy the experience rather then push through it. However you choose to do it or however it ends up happening your still a mother at the end.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 4:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I don't care either way. Woman or not I will glorify my epidural forever.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Birth is supposed to be about having a healthy baby and mother. IMHO, anyone who thinks it's about the "experience" or showing the world how superior she is compared with those weak epidural ladies has her priorities seriously screwed up.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• ^^ EXACTLY!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I had all three of my girls without any pain medication.

If they'd offered it to me, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. A HEARTBEAT! Lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• When you are induced the contractions come on hard & strong. Even with an epidural the pain is very bad. I don't remember the Hospital giving out any Tiaras, sashes, roses or awards for the women that did it without pain meds. Hmm?? Maybe they were in the next room?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2013