Giving birth.

Does delivering a child without the use of pain medication make someone more of a woman? Obviously I don't feel this is true. But I have a few friends and a sil who seem to think this is true. While in labor with my first dd I got an epidural, before I knew I would have a c section, and my sil told me... You can do it without meds I did be strong, women didn't have medication in the past and did fine without it. Now my friend who just had her daughter who let everyone know that she would never use pain medication is glorifying how she didn't use it and how she doesn't understand why any woman would want to take away from the experience of delivery. What are your thoughts?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 3:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Like M-avi other said everyone is different, bottom line everyone that has a Baby is a Women, the method can not be predicted . Had surgery was not wanting that or expecting that outcome ,but not a choice, felt bad for awhile The baby health is the goal, how it happened does not matter.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• People have different pain thresholds. Really, they do. So what works for one may not for another. Also, I think you'd need a lot of concentration without meds to stay calm, breathe through it and have focus. I can't do that! Hell, my own OB/GYN used meds and her philosophy was if we can do it pain free, why not? I'm no friggin' soldier...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I hate the: if you do this, you are that crowd. Do you have a baby that you love and adore? Are you happy with your child's birth? Then you are a great mom. Everyone's opinion shouldn't and doesn't matter when weighing in on your own life.
    OenophiliaMama

Answer by OenophiliaMama at 11:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• No it does not. Each of us have different threshholds of pain.

I wished to go without medication only because medications also flow into the child's bloodstream and I wanted to take as few chances with my children's health as possible. My decission was based on health issues. You will also base yours on health issues and one of those issues is your own health and wellbeing.
    Medications are different than when I delivered. Your best sorce of information is your Dr. Share your questions and concerns and listen with an open mind.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• The ONLY thing that makes a woman a woman is the presence of two X chromosomes. Every woman who possesses these is equal to every other woman.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Did I understand correctly that your SIL said you should get your c-section without meds???
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• No winter, that was before I found out I had to get an emergency c section. I went through 11 hours of labor and made it through half without meds until the gave me patocine, then I couldn't handle it and said screw this give me and epidural lol
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Everyone has a different level of pain tolerance. My sister did it twice without anything only because she was more scared of the epidural needle paralyzing her rather than being tough.
    I had an epi with the first and something else with the second, can't remember the name of it but it only lasted 2 hours
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think it makes for a healthier child, but "more of a woman?" No.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• I think that making your own, fully informed decision is what makes you more of a woman.

I chose to forego pain medication for both of my births (and if I ever have more kids I will be doing it sans meds as well), and it worked out very well for me. I'm happy with my decision. I have a good friend who wanted to birth without pain meds and made the fully informed decision to get an epidural late in her labor so she could rest (after a super long, exhausting ordeal). Why on earth would I think I'm more of a woman than she is? Her birth was arguably much harder than mine. Physically and emotionally, despite having had pain relief.

Empowerment is what makes a woman stronger. The power to choose which is best for each of us, individually.

I love my natural births. Some women love the epidural. As long as you know the risks and benefits of both sides and make an informed decision, you are every bit as much a woman
    AtiFreeFalls

Answer by AtiFreeFalls at 8:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2013