Giving birth.

Does delivering a child without the use of pain medication make someone more of a woman? Obviously I don't feel this is true. But I have a few friends and a sil who seem to think this is true. While in labor with my first dd I got an epidural, before I knew I would have a c section, and my sil told me... You can do it without meds I did be strong, women didn't have medication in the past and did fine without it. Now my friend who just had her daughter who let everyone know that she would never use pain medication is glorifying how she didn't use it and how she doesn't understand why any woman would want to take away from the experience of delivery. What are your thoughts?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 3:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• well first off no one gets a medal for doing it without pain meds. you aren't special or better, but bragging makes you annoying and stupid. I will let you in on a little secret. I'm a L&D nurse and many of those ladies that are the most vocal about not having had pain meds are, in fact, get this... LYING ABOUT IT! I know, right! shocking! Seriously I see it pretty regularly that i will have a labor patient that had an epidural and when everyone comes the next day she tells them that she had no pain meds and brags about how awesome she did. I have even seen scheduled c-section patients tell visitors that they had all natural vaginal deliveries. Only you and your nurse and doctor know the truth. There are A LOT of women that see it as a competition and put others down for taking meds. - that's bull shit.
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 7:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2013

• I was one of those women but I did it for the benefit of my child not mine, did not brag about it, or put down anyone who thinks different, that was my option and I took it....pharmaceuticals and modern medicine has not given me any security only doubts....

Answer by older at 8:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• I don't think that using meds during birthing makes anyone "less of a woman". In MY opinion- what makes a person "less of a woman" in the whole birth thing is when they feel the need to use their experience to put others down, and brag about how they are so much 'better' than everyone else just because they went natural and did not choose to have meds.
    Each woman is different, each birth is different, and each person's pain level is different. When giving birth the MOST important part of the birthing process is the end result - having your baby alive and healthy in your arms! It should not matter if you used meds, or how the baby was delivered (vaginal vs c-section).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2013

• Ps - I am not bashing moms who deliver naturally without meds. My comment is directed at the braggart types who use their life experiences to put others down and try to make others feel inferior to them. As if THEY are so much better than everyone else, and THEY are the ones who know-it-all.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2013