What is my(mother of the groom) responsiblity in the bridal shower?

My son is getting married, we are having a combined shower catered at a hall. The guest will be mainly the bride's family, my exhusband's family, his wife's family and my family. Do I offer to pay half the bill or do I ask my husband to pay a third? I don't know the proper etiquette. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• If your ex was in on the plans from the beginning, then it would be fair for him to pay part. It is not fair to present him with a finished deal that he had no chance to offer opinions or to express that he felt it was too expensive (not that he would). However you could present the deal and ask if he would pay a third. If he refuses then you should pay half. If he would help out with a third, then you and he would be paying 2/3, which is fair since your financial responsibility for the wedding is less that that of the bride's family . So either you and your ex pay 2/3 together, or you alone pay half. This is my own opinion and probably not expert.

Answer by Bmat at 12:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2009