negative tests BUT feel pregnant

okies, i am over two weeks late. having the symptoms of pregnancy: headache (all the time), fatigue (mid morning, mid-afternoon, and about 9ish), dizzy spells, Now am getting tender breasts, No period, thirst.

i have done 3 Hpt, and all negative. so went the doctor, she took urine sample (negative test again), sugar fine, blood pressure perfect, no change in terms of weight. so had blood taken too (awaiting results)

could i be pregnant? but how does that explain the negative hpt?...

MrsF.

Asked by MrsF. at 12:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I suppose it is possible that thinking about it so intensely can almost make you exaggerate the symptoms you are having for pregnancy when they could be something else or nothing at all. But of course, science is only science, and it is not perfect or infallible. Of course there is a chance you could be pregnant, and it will definitely show soon enough if this is the case! I remember taking a pregnancy test and it turning out negative, then taking another one a few days later and it being positive. Thats how fast things change. So keep hoping... and keep checking ;)
    theitalian3721

Answer by theitalian3721 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I know the exact day I got pregnant because we were using fertility drugs. So I got Prego Sept 24th I took a Preg test everyday and didn't get a pos result for 28 days after I got prego. So I bet it's possible that you are check with your doctor again in 2 weeks.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 3:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• When you are pregnant (and with other conditions) you produce a hormone called hcg, which is most concentrated in your urine in the morning. That is the best time to take a preg test. However, if it is early enough in your pregnancy, you may not have enough concentration in your urine to show up a positive. The blood test will show if there is Hcg in your system and if so, how much, that tells you an approximate gestation age (like 2-3 weeks and such). The only three true ways to show that you are really pregnant is to have the doctor visualize the fetus on ultrasound, hear a fetal heart beat separate from yours, and feel fetal movement in your belly. So, yes, you can be pregnant and still have a negative pregnancy test, which is why it is important to follow up with your doctor, and then yes you can also be not pregnant and have a positive test. Again, best to follow up with your doctor. Good Luck!
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Last month I was late for 15 days before my periods finally started. I took 3 tests, all came out negative. Went to doctor and took another test there which also came out negative. My doctor did a pelvic exam and said I was almost certainly not pregnant as the uterus would already start streching by then but she said my uterus was intact which says I had not concieved, sure enough after 4 days I started my period. I was very disappointed as I had high hopes that I had conceived! My doc said stress had delayed my ovulation and hence my period.
    This month I am again late and took a test already which came back negative. I am having some signs but I dont want to get my hopes up. It is so frustrating when period keeps getting delayed for no reason and you try to analyze every symptom you are having and hope that you are finally pregnant! Well good luck and wish me luck too..
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 3:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• hey thanks for all the posts!
    i did a test (after leaving it a week) and it was positive! that was at 4pm yesterday! (done another this morning to make sure, and yes same result!)

maybe i was just testing too early! however i am defo feeling differently, even though i too thought i was over-exaggerating things! so doctors for me tomo, to confirm (even though, am not sure what they will do, apart from another test... or would they anything else? i estimate i am approx 8 weeks)

xx
    MrsF.

Answer by MrsF. at 1:18 PM on Feb. 22, 2009