Stop Sign

Hoping this won't be hard to follow:

Let's say you are stopped at a stop sign behind someone and that someone is pulled up well past that line that you are supposed to stop at so much that the front end of your car is actually at that line.

That someone moves on and it's your turn to stop, but yet you are already stopped at the line.

So do you have to pull forward and stop again or is the stop you made behind that someone (at the line) considered you stopping at the sign?

It would look as though you didn't stop for your turn at the sign, but again, you are already at the line you were supposed to stop at.

Thoughts?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 4:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Just for Fun

• move a couple inches stop, then go. Not worse risking it
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• How many law enforcement officers are in the area at the time?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• They think everything is optional, speed limits, turn signals,

pavement...

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• i wouldnt stop again, but id wait & watch to make sure it was my appropriate turn.

i hate when ppl are stopped at the line so they just go with the car in front of them...that is NOT okay!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I would let everyone else go first at a four way stop, because the rule is the first to get there, or if one or more cars arrive at the same time, the car on the right goes first. I'd rather wait and let them continue going before proceeding. This is why DMV preaches defensive driving so much - people assuming that every driver is aware of the situation.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• imo

do not need to stop again
    but do have to let all others go first
    like- no skipping ahead in the "next to go line"
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• You still stop, especially if there are other cars crossing the intersection from the cross street because it is not your turn. If I'm already pulled up to the line, once the car in front of me goes I'll pull up another few inches and stop, wait for passing cars, then go.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I think you need to pause as long as you would as if you had pulled into you place at the sign. The time you spent waiting at the sign behind the other person does not count.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Stop signs....just a suggestion in many states... ")
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 36 minutes ago

^^^ LOL! I would expect that from a Michigan driver! :p They think everything is optional, speed limits, turn signals, etc. hahaha :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2013