Any words of advice on Epilepsy?

I posted a while back that my fiance had seizures when I was pregnant and we ended up in the hospital.

All his test results are back and he has a positive diagnosis for Epilepsy.

The neurologist said 9 times out of 10 there is nothing in the tests that defines epilepsy, but that his results 100% show epileptic factors.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Health

• simple frown wow,that sucks. Hopefully his doc has some good drugs for him to control it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• He has been on two drugs so far and both made him angry and suicidal. He stopped taking both.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• My ex had epilepsy. He had to take his meds right on time, could not drink one drop of alcohol, it made him angry if he drank, and was not allowed to drive at all ever.

I hate to hear this...I feel for you, but he needs to take that medicine right. see if his doctor can play around with the type of meds or dosage. God forbid he's home alone with the kids and has a seizure. GL.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• He won't talk to his doctor, says that "she scares him".

Yes, she told him repeated seizures could kill him. He checked out after that.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• There is a mom here who has epilepsy. I'm not going to mention her name but I bet you hear from her soon. She'll be a huge resource for you
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• He needs to take his meds. If he doesn't like his current doctor, maybe he can switch to a new one? Either way, he needs to see someone and get on meds that work for him and that don't make him angry, suicidal, etc. Keep pushing - even if he doesn't like it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• If he doesn't like his current doc, you need to find one he will like. This isn't something that he can ignore or that will go away. Unfortunately you'll have to be the bad guy and keep pushing him. I have a friend whose dd was diagnosed as a baby, and another friend from school who passed away years ago, though I don't know the whole story behind it, I know that he was busy with a lot of things in life and was not very compliant with meds. I don't want to scare you, but he does need to take this more seriously.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I have epilepsey. Unfortunately finding the right medicine/medcines combination is trial and error. I was diagnosed when I was 8 or 9YO. I was not controlled until I was 43YO,I will be 49 tomorrow. I have never driven. Watch your boyfriend for signs of seizures and know his triggers. Some triggers can be flashing lights(like on a police car),lack of sleep,stress,each person is different. Auras(sp) are when the person knows a seizure is coming. This can be a taste, a scent, a feeling that only happens when a seizure is pending. Night seizures are also a possibility,he can seize in his sleep. I now take Keppra 750mg 4 times a day,I have been controlled almost 6 years. good luck to your family.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 6:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I'm sorry to hear this. I have one humble piece of advice. My girlfriend is a practitioner of neurofeedback which has shown success for seizures, among many other things. Problem is, insurance won't cover it (not that it's outrageous) and finding a practitioner in your area could be hard. Might be worth a little research?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2013