Sitting in the front seat of the car?

I have an 11yr old son. He will be 12 at the end of the month. He is - or rather WAS, he may be taller than this now, as this was a month ago - only about 3 inches shorter than I am. I'm 5'3. He weighs, as of this morning, 81 lbs.

And he is bugging the crap out of me to sit in the front seat of the car. Now, I also have a 9 yr old, who is still obviously too small to sit in the front. So, for the most part, they will both be remaining in the backseat. But because my oldest is bugging so much, I want to know - at what point would you, or did you, allow it?

Part of me thinks "he's still too little" - but he's only maybe 3 inches shorter than me, so he's not really. lol I kind of feel like if I let him do it once or twice, maybe he'll realize it's not such a huge deal and quit bugging me so much, but at the same time, I don't want to do it if it's not really safe.

Oh, and we live in FL, and yes, there is an airbag there, which is also why I'm unsure.

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 5:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I know the recommended age is 12 but not sure about weight/height requirements. Just make him wait the month out.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I won't let my 11yo DD in the front seat yet. She's at least that tall and weighs a little more.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• It's not even really about waiting until he's 12 - it's more I'm wondering: should I, even after he's 12?
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I would wait until he's actually grown-up sized (his height doesn't faze me, but he's only 81 lbs.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I guess it's more I'm wondering: after he's 12, if I still don't let him, am I being overprotective? I guess that's really more what I'm trying to figure out.
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• OMGosh what are the requirements anyway? There are high school kids that don't meet that. It took me till my senior year of high school to weigh 93 lbs.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• my oldest is 11 and she's 5'2". and 96 pound. i let her sit in the front seat. i drive one more girl to school and we don't have enough room in the back seat. the other girl is 14 and is shorter than your son, she says she's 100 pounds but looking at her i don't know.
    as for as you being over protective, that's what mothers are suppose to do. but if it helps, my middle is 8 and is the same as your son. i sometimes let her sit in the front seat when we go to the store. it's only four blocks and she only gets to do it if she got an a on her test or did all her chores without me harping on her. other than that my oldest sits in the front.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• here they have to be at least 4'9" AND 13

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I remember being told anyone under 5' 4" is at risk of injury from an airbag deployment. Since I'm at 5'3", the best I can do is aim the steering wheel at my chest & pray for safe arrival to my destination. Check your safety manual to the vehicle you drive, but if I were you, I'd tell him sorry charlie!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• http://www.cdc.gov/features/passengersafety/

Here, this just bought you another year- tell him you are following CDC requirements! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 5, 2013