My 15 year old slashed her wrist on purpose

And we had to take her to ER for stitches. She is in therapy, she goes to a special class for kids in the same boat, and I am in therapy. She has scars up and down her arms and legs from cutting. She hates me so bad and says I don't care. I am at a loss, any moms with experience please help!

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 8:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Just remember that this is going to be a long road. Let her know you are there for her and try to recognize when she is having a bad day. They can go for awhile without cutting but ultimately the day will come and it will happen again. It has been about a 5 year battle with my daughter, but at this time she has gone quite awhile without cutting- though she does think about it at times still.

I think it helps us- that I was a cutter as well. I stopped on my own eventually- it lasted about 4 years or so for me

Hang in there and good luck with tall this.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• "Now that she has cut her wrist deeply enough to require stitches, can you revisit the in patient idea with who ever rejected it the first time?"

That's a good point. Plus, I'm confused because doctors diagnose young kids all the time with psychiatric disorders
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Maybe it is time for you to consider in patient treatment somewhere. It sounds as though you're doing all you can possibly do and it may be that she need that sort of intensive one on one help.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• When my daughter was cutting and we had her seeing a therapist- he was doing pretty much NOTHING for her- but we didn't realize until we moved to another state and she got a new one. The new one did more for her in 4 months than the first guy did in a year

I would look into trying a new doctor, does she like and trust who she is seeing now? have they given her other ways to cope?
    Also, if the ones you are seeing won't diagnose her, that's a reason to try someone else as well. My daughter was diagnosed at 14/15 with depression and anxiety.
    My sister was diagnosed at 13/ 14 with Schizophrenia
    they can and do diagnose teens...

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Gwen, seriously. Shut up. Your sole purpose on this site is to incite crap. You're cruel and hateful.

OP, stay in counseling/therapy and continue to try and resolve her issues. She may not even KNOW what's bothering her. Plus, it really could be something chemical and no amount of therapy without a successful medication therapy will work. Keep being her advocate, fighting for treatment she needs.
    Anonymous

• Now that she has cut her wrist deeply enough to require stitches, can you revisit the in patient idea with who ever rejected it the first time?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Been there, done that. My teen is a cutter. I have had her in counseling and in patient programs and on medication. Nothing seemed to help. I know exactly where you are coming from. Personally, I think the counseling made it worse as she was constantly thinking about it and was talking about it for an hour or so a week.
    It's something that she has to decide on her own to stop doing. We've tried telling her of the dangers of cutting too deep, infections, and having to explain the scars later in life. We've given her alternatives. She has a list of people that she can call or send a message on FB if she is having a bad day. We hid all the knives and razors. She just found something else.
    Just remember this is not your fault and this is not something you can make all better. Believe me, I know what you are going thru.
    Anonymous

• "There's definitely something wrong that's bothering her."

Well, thank you for that stunning report, Captain Obvious
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• Not sure my response to Gwen went anon??? Anyhoo, that was me lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• How has your relationship been with your teen over their years ? Be honest. Have you been attentive ? Be honest.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2013