Curls

can i perm my hair and it not ruin my dye?

LilyFlair

Asked by LilyFlair at 9:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• Yes, but you need to use a permanent for color treated hair. One of the biggest things is to make sure and rinse extremely well between waving lotion and neutralizer.
    This is if you just have a single step permanent hair color. If it has been bleached and toned, that could cause the possibility of blasting open the hair shaft to an extreme stste where you could cause alot of damage .
    How long ago since you colored, what color was used, will you be giving it to yourself and how long is your hair ?
    These things can make a difference......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:55 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• my hair is Black I dye it once every few months to do my roots. My hair grows very slowly. Its permant black color. I guess last dye was 3 weeks ago. I would be going somewhere to get the perm done. and length wise it goes down to the bottom of my shoulder blades.
    LilyFlair

Comment by LilyFlair (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• It sounds like you will be fine. I would check with a beautician 1st to see if they think you need any deep conditioning before going through with the perm. Just stop in and talk to them and let them look at your hair. Sometimes a slight amount of color will leave the hair- permanant solution is strong.
    I am curious why you want a perm......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I have the straightest of straight hair. I use to have natural curl but over time it when straight. I hate it and want volume back. nothing super tight though. I miss the volume. My hair wont stay curled with an iron, and I have no time to do anything with it.
    LilyFlair

Comment by LilyFlair (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2013

• I have a suggestion to try 1st. Bye the way, I have a Cosmetology degree. :-)
    Get yourself an old school foam roller selection. On dry hair at night, roll up big sections of hair onto about 8-10 rollers. You can experiment the placement. Roll the ones at the top of the head up, whatever on the bottom. Your curl will last all day and it is easy. Once you get used to them, you will love them and the curl they hold. Spray with hairspray before removing rollers, let dry and take out rollers, run your fingers through the curl and you are set.
    When coloring and perming the hair you can cause irreversible damage. I like to do one or the other......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Not sure here is a bump
    CharlotteRose

Answer by CharlotteRose at 5:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2013