What is recertification for apartment rental?

What is it for exactly? We have to re certify in a few months. Husband got laid off a few months ago but we are getting cash assistance. I am wondering if that will affect us negatively.

Thanks. We have been here almost a year now and have never been late on the rent. So I think everyhting should be fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Home & Garden

• We have to recert every year because we live in low-income housing. It involves providing paperwork to prove your income still fits within their parameters for living there. We had to provide the most recent tax return, pay stubs for the 3 months, and proof of any other income. It's the same as when we moved in.

After you live there long enough, the paperwork becomes less.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:12 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• What Rosehawk said' If you are not in low income housing and have been late several times, the apartment manager may choose to recertify (paperwork) to be sure that you will be able to continue to afford where you are living.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I have never heard of a private landlord asking a tenant to recertify. We are landlords and do require our long time tenants to fill out a new "application" every couple years but mainly to just get all their info updated like jobs, and emergency contacts. As long as they are paying the rent then we aren't going to kick them out because they make less money. If you are in some sort of government assissted housing then I can understand needing to recretify every year. The government requires all types of income based aid to be recertified every year.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I just heard of this in connection with Section 8. I think that is kind of odd. What did they give as a reason?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I don't know but they make everyone do it. This place is low income but not section 8.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• where is the low income at
    Anonymous