Branches of military(spin off question)

Are the benefits the same with each branch? Do you keep your rank if for example you do 4 years USMC then enlist in the USAF? I am not joining the military,just curious!  I wanted to join the USAF years ago but having epilepsey stopped me

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 1:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Military

• Each branch of the Military has its own rules for recruiting from other branches.
    If the branch your switching to has the same MOS or job then more than likely you'll keep your same rank.
    But if you change your MOS, you may go down one rank.
    Best thing to do is ask the recruiter of the branch you or your SO wish to transfer to.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I would talk to a recruiter but unless it has changed you do not keep your rank. Last time I had reason to wonder about pay and benefits the answer was also no, they are not the same.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My husband did recruiting in the usaf & said you can't go from another branch into the air force, but the rules always change. Talk to a recruiter
    nmgirl87

Answer by nmgirl87 at 4:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It's kind of hard to answer this question because the rules change so much due to the needs of the military. I can only speak from my husband and his friends experiences. One of my husband's Sgt.'s was in the Marine Corps, got out and then decided he wanted to go back into the military. Once you get out of the Marines, you can't go back in, so he went to the Army. When he went into the Army, he had to go one rank lower than what he had in the Marines. As far as pay, yes they are the same. A Captain in the Army is different than a Captain in the Navy, so yes it does look like their is a pay difference but there is not. They go by your enlisted or officer rank (ex. E-5, O-6, etc)

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Agree with the above posters.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2013