Just a second part to my other question about bathtub pics.

they say, posting family photos online can send a mixed message to our kids. From an early age we teach them not to talk to strangers and be careful not to reveal personal information, but then we ignore our own rules just because it’s Facebook.

And it’s not just predators. That same Times article suggested that the real danger is that a photo could be misappropriated or mistreated. There have been several well-documented stories of horrified parents discovering that the cute picture they took of their son or daughter was now being used in an overseas ad campaign or featured on a disreputable web site.

The truth is, we still have to be careful. Once we post a picture online, we effectively lose control of that picture, ceding re-publication rights to whoever comes across it. So the old adage “Think before you post” still applies – to adults as well as kids.

A few rules for posting images of kids:

No bathtub shots or anything provocative. However cute you might think the picture is, it doesn’t belong online.
Avoid posting anything that can be used to identify your child's location, like a baseball team logo or school banner.

theonlinemom.com

mandab123

Asked by mandab123 at 2:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• True enough. I do not think FB is a good thing at all but that is my opinion.
    I the other question, you did not ask if we thought it was a good or safe idea. You asked if it was illegal and you got your answer based on your question.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• yeah bc i didnt know if it was or not i was referring to the people that think its not exploiting your child no matter how "cute it is"
    mandab123

Comment by mandab123 (original poster) at 2:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• You need to look up the word exploitation. It is not. Someone else may take and exploit the picture but the woman who posted it, is not doing anything of the kind.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• exploit: to make use of unfairly for one's own advantage..........so because she wanted to post them pictures for her own advantage she is exploiting my daughter
    mandab123

Comment by mandab123 (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I agree. I do not take such shots of my kids. I have 1 bathtub shot of my girls & all that is visible is their heads.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Well arent you a great big bowl of crazy sprinkled with paranoia?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Oh what the hell. What "advantage" did she have? It's NOT exploitation.

What it IS, in my opinion, is you having a siginificant issue with your ex having a girlfriend that likes your kid. Your kid probably likes her too.

If you feel bathtub shots are creepy then you are well within your rights to have your ex tell her not to post them anymore. But I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• If I recall you had problems with the ex posting any pictures of his child on facebook? You asked him 4 x's and he didn't stop? I guess that because the child is 1/2 of his , he can do what he wants. Maybe you should be happy the GF likes your child, and is good to her.I agree with Mrs. that you are more uspet about the relationship than the picture! Why would he need to go to dinner with you to discuss this, unless you still have feelings for him?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• check with your local law enforcement, I can tell you that in our town IF they took the pics themselves and they are not provacative ( which most childrens tub pics are not) they will tell you that you have no control over the pictures he posts AND if you gave him a picture he also has the right to post it.

Before you get an ulcer over it ask your county, it differs everywhere
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I avoid posting my kids pics online, not because I am paranoid though
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2013