Lonely :/

I'm a single divorced Mom, I moved to a different town for a good job offer, my son goes back & forth so have the year I'm alone. I might sound pathetic but I think I'm getting depressed. I have no friends or family around. I tried to keep busy by going to the gym, shopping, tv, internet, but nothings helping. My female coworkers are fun to be around, but nobody really associates with each other outside the work place. Even taking classes at the college, everyone seems to keep to themselves. I'm out of ideas & it sucks! :( wwyd? The job is awesome, I work a few days a week for great pay so quiting would be ridiculous!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Relationships

• It normal to feel the way you do because you've had some really huge life changes recently.  It's okay to feel sad and lonely.  If it gets really bad see a doctor about depression.  Also try joining a support group for divorced moms, single moms, anything really.  These groups allow for more human interaction than going to the gym or mall.  Also you may develop some friendships. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Are there any Meet Up" Groups in your area? These are designed for people who enjoy similar activities and are single. Not really a dating site, but you'll meet folks who are in your situation. Near me there are groups who walk, hike, dine out, find great live bar bands etc.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 8:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• ask one of them to hang out with you after worrk
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Join a group of some sort, I met a dear friend at a pottery class a couple of years ago! Or as Lost Soul suggested invite someone from work to do something with you.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I would look for things you enjoy. I love books and gardening. I joined a Master Gardener program and a book group. Then I joined Friends of the Public Library (we raise money for the Public Library). Gradually I have made new friends. It is a little harder when you get older. Oh, I also volunteer 4 hours a week at a food pantry.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Maybe you can start a workout club a group of people who support each other? Or a book club pick a book and invite people from all different parts of your life and start reading. Get people together for a small get together or a meet and greet. Anything can happen. Have fun relax and who knows you might meet some very good friends I have.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I agree with booklover545, volunteering is the best way I've found for meeting new people and making friends.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Join a hobby group. Try to be more inviting by using icebreakers to start conversations, such as giving compliments or making jokes (about yourself even). People tend to relax more around someone who is comfortable with herself. Compliments always work - "That's such a cute shoe/bag/coat you have! Your hair is so cute! I always wished I had curly/straight/long/short hair! I've been trying to find some shoes like that, where did you get them?" See if you can get involved with your church if you go to any and volunteering always opens up friendships.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• P.S. perhaps have a roommate for this year. It would give you a chance to hang out with your roommate and perhaps get to know her circle of friends. I was alone in a new area once and decided to find a house full of roommates to live in to meet new people. It was great during my college years. Find someone open and friendly but not too much of a party person.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• try meetup.com to try and meet new friends in your area
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2013