RSV question again (please help)

So we won't be going over to my in-laws (when the RSV infested nephew is staying) but some of dh's other brothers and sisters (who don't have kids) might be dropping by our house to see us while their in town...

Is it possible that those people might be bringing the virus with them and infecting our LO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, if they are around him.
    Anonymous

• It is a possibility that they may carry it with them. RSV presents like a cold in adults and a very bad one at that. I would suggest that they stay away from your house unless they visit you guys first.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'd have the same concern. If it were friends in the same town I'd probably say that you are afraid that you all are catching a virus or something- not exactly a lie, sort of. But for out of town relatives that really should be allowed to visit.... maybe you could say that there is so much going around and you are afraid of the baby getting it, so you are asking everyone to wash their hands before touching the baby? I'd still worry, I admit.

Answer by Bmat at 12:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Call your doctor and ask if it is a real problem for people who have been around someone with RSV to come to your house on the same day. I'm not sure they would be carriers at that point, but I'd worry about germs on their hands and maybe clothes. So call your doctor. If the doctor says they should not come, then tell them that the doctor said that the baby cannot have visitors right now.

Answer by Bmat at 12:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• RSV spreads just like a cold. Make sure they wash their hands and sanitize. Limit their exposure to the baby. If they touched something the infected boy touched, sneezed, snotted or coughed on, they're exposed and carrying the virus. If they don't wash then touch your baby, your baby can be infected...he is exposed.

It's a nasty, nasty cold virus.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I googled around. It says that children can be exposed at day care and bring it home and infect others. To me this means that the relatives should not come. It also said that it is spread by coughing and sneezing etc and by contact with infected items. It probably won't go over well with the relatives but probably they should not come over. If you can get the doctor to say this, then you are covered without hurting feelings.

Answer by Bmat at 12:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yes. RSV is highly contagious. And for those who are older they might just have a bit of a cold and not know they have it. AND RSV lives on clothes for 36 hours.

SO depending on how old your baby is would depend on how careful you should be. If your child is over 6 months... they might get it but their airway is larger and they don't have as much trouble with it. 4-6 months I would be cautious. And less than 4 I think I would ask that they not hold your baby. Newborn-1 month ask them not to come.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2009