99.7 in one ear, 100.0 in the other

whats your policy on fevers when it comes to school age children? do you give them something for the fever, then send them and see if the school nurse calls, or keep them home if it's 100.0 or above? (her school's rules are that 100 and above have to stay home for 24 hours) im not sure which reading i should go by either. ill probably keep her home because she's rubbed her little nose raw from blowing it so often and she is just miserable.

Asked by tnm786 at 7:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I keep them home because they would prefer to be miserable at home. I am not saying I have never had to give the Tylenol and hope for the best... it has happened but I really try to just keep them home.

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• You know your child best, but the 2nd reading (in ears) is usually a tad higher than the first because the thermometer picks up heat from the first ear. I don't normally give Tylenol for a low-grade fever. Depends on the situation. Trust your gut.

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• actually i got the 100 reading in the first ear, and the lower reading in the second ear.

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I don't give Tylenol for temps under 101*, but in this case I would just keep her home. Feeling miserable is enough of a reason to not have to go to school for me.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I would keep her home too. Hope she feels better soon

Answer by Alisim at 8:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Keep home if it's not normal.

Answer by idareyou at 8:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Hope she feels better!

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I say keep her home as well, if she gets sent home, she won't be able to go back until Friday, and who knows she may be all better by tomorrow!

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2013