roseola or sixth diease?

my daughter (24 months) had a fever for a few days....now she has tiny red bumps all over her body...i was told by my mother in law, who works in a hospital, it could be roseola or sixth diease....im 24 weeks pregnant and im worried about side affects it could have ont he baby....neither of our clinic's are open....is it serious enough to go to the er or could it wait till they open on tuesday?

mizzmala

Asked by mizzmala at 1:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If it IS roseola, there is nothing the dr can do about it. I wouln't worry too much about it...it just has to run it's course if it is Roseola
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• OR it can be scarlet fever- which my son had ... you need to take your child to the doctor to be seen not guess by the looks of her rash....
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 1:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I think my daughter had that
    (or something similar) recently. Nothing we could do but try to make her comfortable. I gave her motrin and 1/2 the suggested dose of children's Benedryl (per her ER physician grandfather). I also gave her lots of cool oatmeal baths to soothe the itching (just grind up oatmeal to a flour-like consistency in the food processor), and slathered her with non-scented lotion a lot. I used hydrocortisone cream twice a day all over her body (morning and night).
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Oh, and it may seem common sense, but keep those fingernails trimmed way down so she can't scratch herself up a lot.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's actually called fifth disease (parvovirus). But it sounds like Roseola. It usually clears up on it's own.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i had the fifth disease when i was a kid, and they didn't do anything for me. just let it run its corse
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i'd probably call my doctor & speak to whoever's on call. explain the situation. i think it's a virus & just has to play itself out. good luck!

Exanthem Subitum (Sixth Disease, Roseola)
    HHV-6 or HHV-7. Incubation of 10-14 days
    0-3 y/o, usually in Spring or Fall. Prodrome of high fever for 3-5 days. Associated with febrile seizures. Rash of erythematous to pink macules and papules arranged in rosettes on trunk, neck, and proximal extremities. Rash appears as fever resolves.

Disease Day of Fever which Rash Develops
    Varicella 1st day of Fever, rash develops
    Scarlet Fever 2nd
    Small Pox 3rd

i found this info on a pediatric dermatology site: http://emcrit.org/160-189/169a-peds.derm.htm
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 6:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2009