Breast Feeding

So my plan was to breast feed without any other supplements for like 6 months or until she starts getting teeth. Almost went a month, got past all the sore nipple stuff and was making enough for her to just eat and eat and pass out. And then she got her first growth spurt according to a nurse of mine. And she's been eating 8oz at a time on average, shes only a month and 4 days old and i feel like a horrible mom for needing to use formula... but honestly i can get up to 4 oz out of them if it has been a while and to except 8 every 4 hours is insane. I'm not sure if i'm noticing this or if i think i'm noticing it but i think that my supply has started getting low since shes been getting formula. And i've tried feeding her as much as possible and when shes asleep i'll pump just to keep things going but i'm not sure if its working. So i guess i just wanted to know if anyone has done anything or ate anything to help get things up?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 1:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok, look. Doctors are not always supportive of breastfeeding moms. Breastfeeding is supply and demand. The more you feed, the more milk you produce. If you give formula, you do not produce as much milk. Pumping is NEVER a good source of how much milk you produce. Your baby is getting way more milk than you can ever pump. Growth spurts require more feedings. It takes about 3 days for your supply to match your child's. If you really want to continue, stop the formula. It is not your imagination, your supply is going down if you are giving formula. Please don't get me wrong. I am not anti-formula, I am just anti-formula as a supplement if you are trying to increase your supply.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• making milk is a supply and demand thing. Therefore if you are feeding her less from you and you are not pumping you will start to make less. I could not make enough from the start so I was pumping every hour egeve him except the hour he was to feed. I would latch him and let him eat off me first and then supplememt him with a bottle to give the rest he needed. The more you more you pump or latch your baby on you will make more. It just takes some patience and a lot of time latched on to some thing. But in your case since you were making enough to begin with it might not take very long for you. GOOD LUCK!
    lovemlotz

Answer by lovemlotz at 1:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I pumped alot with both of my kids and I always felt like my supply wasnt that great. There are teas you can try (you can get them at herbal health stores or GNC) and alot of people say that oatmeal helps with milk production too. as far as I know though pumping is the best way to increase supply.
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• First of all, dont worry, and stop giving formula. Your LO does not need it! Doctor's dont have any education about breastfeeding, or very little anyways. Babies have growth spurts at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, and so on every six weeks. There is NO need to supplement!! Being able to pump 4 ounces is GREAT, your probably making double that because a pump is no where near as efficient in getting the milk out than a baby. It's normal for a mom to only be able to pump 1/2-2 ounces at a time, so your doing above average. And it's very likely that you DID have 8 ounces available in your breasts, but giving formula WILL make your supply go down. I would suggest you stop giving formula now, and start nursing on demand. Nurse at each and every hunger cue, and when she's done(on her terms, not yours. Dont watch the clock!), pump for ten minutes on each side, even if nothing's coming out. It's the stimulation that tells your body to ma
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 4:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• cont..

ke more milk. I promise your baby wont starve if you stop giving her formula, and it's the only way to get your supply back up. You have to learn to trust your body, cause it was made to do this, and you CAN make enough for her, even during a growth spurt! Your breasts are never empty, their making milk as your baby nurses.

Good luck, and keep on nursing! :) :) feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and you should also look into joining the Breastfeeding Moms group, you can find lots of good information there. Also kellymom.com is a lifesaver :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 4:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Stop the formula. She doesn't need it unless she's underweight or something like that. I have exclusively breastfed FOUR kids and the only time I've ever pumped was when my little one was in the Nicu and I was never able to get more than 4 ounces of milk from pumping. Baby is able to get more out than the pump is. As all the other mamas said...milk is made on supply/demand. By you giving your baby formula there is less demand for milk and therefore you're not going to have as much.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 4:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'm going to be blunt here. If you want to EBF successfully, I'd recommend stopping the supplements NOW. Your body can and will produce what is demanded of it. Even if you can only pump a small amount, your baby gets much more when she nurses. Supplementation DOES cause your supply to drop. Each supplemental feeding tells your body that you don't need to make milk at that time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• If you are looking for some help to increase your milk supply, you could try fenugreek capsules. My favorite is Mother's Milk Tea. It helped me to continue producing milk while my ds was in the hospital for two months. Every time I pumped, I was too tense to produce much. The hospital's lactation consultant suggested that I try the fenugreek and the tea.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2009