Is giving birth to a preemie about the same as a full term delivery aside from the obvious size difference?

I gave birth at 29 weeks and went through almost 2 days of contractions. They were hard, but refused meds due to the risk to the baby that early. I'm curious if second time around I can expect a similar kind of labor or if I go full term it will be harder than when I delivered before.

mmeherne

Asked by mmeherne at 1:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the labor itself is about the same but due to the size there will be more pushing for a full term baby (I have done both)
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 1:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• The experience is about the same. I also had both.

Answer by Bmat at 1:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree with what has already been posted...pain is pain no matter how small the baby when you are talking labor. I've had a 4 lb baby & a 7 lb baby & the labor still hurt just as much with both!
    Anonymous

• My "preemie" was a 36 weeker...he was about 2lbs smaller than my biggest full termer. The only real difference for me was that he came out a LOT quicker once pushing started. My full termers were 7 1/2 hours and 2 1/2 hours after they broke my water....my little guy was 26 minutes!! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I've only had full term babies, but from talking to other women who've given birth to both... preemies often hurt MORE. Maybe it's because they aren't as squishy with fat, but it sometimes hurts more when they come out.
    Danotoyou2

Answer by Danotoyou2 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2009