HOW CAN I GET MY 3YR OLD TO SLEEP IN HIS TODDLER BED, INSTEAD OF SLEEPING WITH ME?

LALA8482

Asked by LALA8482 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Explain that you'll sit with him while he falls asleep but then you are going to your own bed. Give him a nice teddy or other comfy stuffed animal to keep him company if he wakes up- and explain that if he wakes up he should hug the comfy. Leave at least one and maybe more nightlights on in his room. Leave the door open so that he won't feel isolated in a closed room. If he gets up and comes to your room, walk him back to his bed and explain that this is where he sleeps now. It may take a few days, but if you are consistent it will work. If you give in even once, it will be tougher.

Answer by Bmat at 1:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• i would tuck my kids in and lay with them in their beds and sing to them till they were almost asleep and then kiss them goodnight telling them i was leaving the room, but that i would keep checking on them...that works for me, you might give it a try...it may help them sleep better in his own bed...or you could play some soft music....
    luvinhayhaybub

Answer by luvinhayhaybub at 8:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I used a combination of the first to answers for my daughter. The only thing I would add is that for every night that my daughter stayed in her bed and went to sleep, the next day she got a plastic, glow in the dark star to stick on her ceiling above her bed. In a few weeks, she had a whole sky of stars that glowed. We stuck them up with poster putty or tape.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• put him back in his own bed EVERY SINGLE TIME
    badd_kitten

Answer by badd_kitten at 9:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I went out and bought a baby gate..to put up in my bedroom doorway...It allows you to still hear them,see them but they can't climb into bed with you. My kids would fall asleep in their room but in the middle of the night crawl into bed with me...The gate worked wonders. The first night I slept peaceful without anybody climbing on me. The next morning I woke up refreshed and energized the first time in a long time
    TDMumof3

Answer by TDMumof3 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• http://www.supernanny.com/

Suppernanny methods worked for us. My son is an excellent sleeper now, even enjoys sleeping in and goes to bed with in 5 mintues after our routine. I didnt do the cry it out one, we did the other one where we sat in there and edged to the door. So they begin to feel confident in their room, they know there is no getting out....

Also we put a baby gate up in the door. When you take them out of a crib they loose that secure sense of closeness and confinment. A baby gate helps make the whole room feel like the crib -
    KristyCT

Answer by KristyCT at 10:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2009