Mail delivery to end on Saturdays. What are your thoughts?

The only stuff that will be delivered Saturdays is packages, express mail and mail order prescription drugs.

LINK

It's been debated for months and months, but on Wednesday the United States Postal Service finally will announce it's not going to deliver first-class mail on Saturdays anymore.

The postal service's announcement, planned for about 10 a.m. EST, is expected to say that packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail will continue to be delivered on Saturday, but not letters, bills, cards, and catalogs.

The move is meant to save the financially struggling agency about $2 billion annually as it wrestles with the rising popularity of email and social media eating away at its core business of delivering mail, and with the climbing costs of providing health benefits to its workers.

In January, the USPS' board of governors directed management to accelerate the restructuring of postal service operations in the face of declining revenues. It said that the USPS could no longer afford to wait for legislation to salvage its business.

The agency reported an annual loss of a record $15.9 billion for the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, triple the prior year's loss and capping a year in which it was forced to default on payments to a health benefit trust fund managed by the Treasury Department. The rising costs for future retiree health benefits accounted for $11.1 billion of the losses.

The USPS is an independent agency of the government. It does not get tax money to fund its day-to-day operations, but it is subject to congressional control, and congressional foot-dragging.

On Jan. 27, the USPS raised postage stamp prices by one cent to 46 cents to help raise revenues. “We are currently losing $25 million per day,” Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe warned in January.

The move is another milestone in the long-running political dance between Congress and Postal Service managers over how to finance the delivery of mail to 151 million addresses, nearly 40 percent of the world's "snail mail" volume. Though its Capitol Hill critics complain that Postal Service should be made to operate “more like a business,” Congress has created a set of rules that all but guarantee billion-dollar losses.

Those losses are almost entirely the result of the now-defaulted “pre-funding” requirement for retiree health insurance and other accounting charges.

The Postal Service faces other constraints. It is banned from setting up retail outlets, for example, that could generate profits to help subsidize delivery costs. Worse, it is barred by Congress from charging the full cost of providing the service it is required to deliver.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't need my bills to come sooner, so it doesn't bother me, as long as the post offices are open for pickups for those who work during the week. I don't understand how they're losing money and keep raising the stamp prices when I usually use extra stamps and other people usually put extra in sometimes, too. I've gotten some letters sent back, too for being 1-cent short (as an experiment of mine) so with overpayment going on, where is the waste coming from?
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:10 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• i don't mind. don't really get anything on Sat.
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 10:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Okay by me.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Sucks for me. I do a lot by USPS. :(
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Sadly it's just another sign of the times. We will have to plan accordingly for the bills we still mail out.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I love it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My company will not to direct deposit, and my pay check comes by mail, 80% of the time on Friday, the other 20% on Saturday, so I guess I will have to wait until Monday sometimes now, yuck!

I suspect the real outcry will come if there are still many older people who get pension checks instead of pension direct deposits. A lot of places have forced everyone over to electronic, but there are probably still some out there who left the option for the computer illiterate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It would not bother me one way or the other.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• it wont affect me
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• fine by me. we already dont get mail once a week, i assume b/c there isnt anything to give us. so it wont make much difference to me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2013