Mail delivery to end on Saturdays. What are your thoughts?

The only stuff that will be delivered Saturdays is packages, express mail and mail order prescription drugs.

LINK

It's been debated for months and months, but on Wednesday the United States Postal Service finally will announce it's not going to deliver first-class mail on Saturdays anymore.

The postal service's announcement, planned for about 10 a.m. EST, is expected to say that packages, mail-order medicine, and express mail will continue to be delivered on Saturday, but not letters, bills, cards, and catalogs.

The move is meant to save the financially struggling agency about $2 billion annually as it wrestles with the rising popularity of email and social media eating away at its core business of delivering mail, and with the climbing costs of providing health benefits to its workers.

In January, the USPS' board of governors directed management to accelerate the restructuring of postal service operations in the face of declining revenues. It said that the USPS could no longer afford to wait for legislation to salvage its business.

The agency reported an annual loss of a record $15.9 billion for the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, triple the prior year's loss and capping a year in which it was forced to default on payments to a health benefit trust fund managed by the Treasury Department. The rising costs for future retiree health benefits accounted for $11.1 billion of the losses.

The USPS is an independent agency of the government. It does not get tax money to fund its day-to-day operations, but it is subject to congressional control, and congressional foot-dragging.

On Jan. 27, the USPS raised postage stamp prices by one cent to 46 cents to help raise revenues. “We are currently losing $25 million per day,” Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe warned in January.

The move is another milestone in the long-running political dance between Congress and Postal Service managers over how to finance the delivery of mail to 151 million addresses, nearly 40 percent of the world's "snail mail" volume. Though its Capitol Hill critics complain that Postal Service should be made to operate “more like a business,” Congress has created a set of rules that all but guarantee billion-dollar losses.

Those losses are almost entirely the result of the now-defaulted “pre-funding” requirement for retiree health insurance and other accounting charges.

The Postal Service faces other constraints. It is banned from setting up retail outlets, for example, that could generate profits to help subsidize delivery costs. Worse, it is barred by Congress from charging the full cost of providing the service it is required to deliver.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Doesn't bother me.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think that just as we can't spend money that we don't have, and have to make sometimes difficult budgetary choices, so does the post office, and so should the government. If there isn't enough money, they have to cut back somewhere.

We are doing more of our business online and less through the mail, and the post office is making a lot less money on their service. I think this is probably a necessary move.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• don't really care...unless I am waiting for something form ebay!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It kind of sucks, because if you're waiting for a letter or something like that, now you'll have to wait an extra day. But I get why they're doing it, and it's not that big a deal.

Although, if they're still going to deliver packages and the other things they mention, I'm really not sure how much money they're going to save from this. According to the woman that delivers our mail, they'd still have to drive the same route to deliver that stuff, so they'd spend the same on gas. She also claims that not only would the usual sorting apply (so no savings there), but there would be extra sorting to sort those items they will deliver from those they won't.

But they're going to do what they're going to do and we can't do anything about it anyway.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think it is a good idea for the people who are paying, but sad for the employees who are now out an 8-10 hour shift.
    When we were overseas we didn't get any kind of mail on saturdays for 3 years, it's not that big a deal.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think it needs to be done. Honestly I am surprised that they only went for Saturday delivery. They will still lose money. Too many other less expensive ways to mail and ship things and so much of our bill paying is done electronically now.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Its ok for me we are not getting enough mail on Saturdays or even during the week.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• We have to stop spending money. The changes will have to happen across the board. None of it will be pleasant.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My company will not to direct deposit, and my pay check comes by mail, 80% of the time on Friday, the other 20% on Saturday, so I guess I will have to wait until Monday sometimes now, yuck!
    But they have to cut back somewhere, and if that is what needs to be done, I guess I can live with it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Meh

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2013