Diarrhea or loose stools from teething?

I provide childcare for several infants and toddlers. I have one child that missed Monday because he had loose stools. He came Tuesday and one stool was semi-solid and the second was pure liquid. His BM later that evening at home was semi-solid. He just came and left because his BM was discolored and loose and SMELLED TO HIGH HEAVEN. The mom says she called the nurse line and they said it could be either he is teething or it is a virus. (I Googled it, some kids have loose stools for weeks when teething). I suggested she take a sample to the doctor to get it tested to see if it is a virus and she said it wasn't worth the co-pay. I tried to explain to her that it was, because if it IS a virus, all the kids here are being exposed - but if it's just teething, he can come. There is this stomach virus going around.

What would be the best thing for the kids? It's extra hard because she's my neighbor and my friend...but I don't want to get the other kids sick or keep cleaning my house like it's a virus.

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 9:15 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would say that is is teeth, assuming that he is happy otherwise? I think because he has had normal mixed with loose, that it is most likely teeth. Any fever?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:20 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• No, no fever. The diapers can't contain it though... I wouldn't say NORMAL, just less liquid. I have never seen anything like this and I've been doing this for eight years. I called my nurse line and they said to bring the child to see the doctor.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Roto-virus maybe, and I would call the mother and tell her that she needs to take the baby to the damn doctor! My youngest had roto-virus once and it smelled awful. I would be concerned about caring for a baby that the mother doesn't think a co-pay is "worth" it when her kid is il! Send him home.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• He's already left. I know they're tight on money. She's hourly and already missed Monday. I know it's hard - but it's also hard for me. :(
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Yes teething can cause loose stools but it doesn't smell. That is a virus. She needs to take the baby to the doctor.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Well, you cant have all the other kids get sick, and I am sure it is bad for her, but YOU have to protect the other kids, and she should want to make sure her baby is okay, I remember that my son got an awful diaper rash from it, :(
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_General/

I found this article - we just don't know if it's a virus or teething!!! Ug.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I would explain to her she can either take the baby to the doctor and if it is not a virus then she can come to your house and the mom can go to work. Or she can keep the baby home with her until the stools are normal again and potentially miss a ton of work. I think the co-pay would be cheaper.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My kiddo would literally have it shooting out the sides of the diapers when he was teething. It was a shit fountain.
    Every single tooth. Once he was old enough to be up and walking, I'd have to contain him to an area and put changing pads all over the floor!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• But could you send him to daycare like that???
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2013